Matlock's arms, on an enamel badge.
The arms, designed by Robert Hall,
were shown in black & white on the title page of the Matlocks
Guide for many years and the owner understands
there used to be a large version on the
wall up the stairs in the Town Hall.
Photograph © Colin Goodwyn
More about Matlock Bath's arms
in the Domesday Book, 1086
"Domesday" was a survey of lands in England, made by order of King
William the Conqueror, in 1086. The Norman Conquest of England had
taken place 20 years earlier, in the year 1066.
The Domesday volumes are held by The National Archive, Kew.
The above translation, referring to Matlock (MESTESFORDE), has been
extracted from: Domesday Book Series: 27 Derbyshire ed. Philip Morton
"LAND OF THE KING" in the Wirksworth Wapentake:
"12 M. In MATLOCK (Bridge) King Edward had 2 caracutes of land
without tax. Waste. meadow, 8 acres; 1 lead mine; woodland
pasture in places, 3 leagues long and 2 wide.
To this manor are attached these outliers, MATLOCK, SNITTERTON,
WENSLEY, BONSALL, IBLE, TANSLEY. In them 7 caracutes of land taxable.
land for 7 ploughs.
11 villagers and 12 smallholders have ploughs.
Meadow, 22 acres; woodland pasture 2 leagues long and 1 league
wide; underwood as much".
"15 M. ... These five manors, DARLEY, MATLOCK (Bridge),
WIRKSWORTH, ASHBOURNE, AND PARWICH, with their outliers, paid £32
and 6½ sesters of honey 1066; now £40 of pure silver".
| The Manor of Matlock
Matlock was anciently called Mestesford and
was mentioned in the Domesday Survey, as already stated above.
Writing in 1877, Cox said that Matlock was not a berewick [a
of Wirksworth. "Matlock and Darley were royal manors" at Domesday.
He also pointed out that there was no church at Matlock mentioned
at that time, though the fragments of Norman masonry outside the
Church tower certainly indicate the existence of a church in the
About St. Giles
"The manor belonged at an early period to the FERRERS family
as part of the Wapentake of Wirksworth". It was, until 1628, "parcel
of the earldom of the Duchy of Lancaster". It "was then granted
to Edward DITCHFIELD and others, in trust for the Corporation of
the City of London, by whom it was converted to three other persons,
as trustees for the copyholders of the manor, and the rights have
ever since been vested in the succession of such trustees".
and Early Deeds
Relating to Matlock, 14th Century - Leases 1376-1377
of Matlock in Davies' 1811 "History" (scroll down the page)
Other significant dates in the history of the Manor
Letters patent granted to Edward DITCHFIELD
(White's Directory records LICHFIELD), John HIGHLOW, Humphrey CLARKE
and ffrancis MOSSE, citizens of the City of London
- by an indenture sold to John MIDDLETON
Esq., of Wannesley, NTT, Arthur MOORE gent., of Milthorpe, DBY, Richard
SENIOR of Cowley, DBY and George HEATHCOTE of Cutthorpe, DBY. This
was in trust for the copyholders.
- 1629 (14 Jan)
To make certain of
the copyholders' rents, there was an agreement between the above trustees
William WALKER, Adam WOLLEY and others (copyholders of the manor);
Elizabeth, widow of the late Adam WOLLEY of Riber, Gent on behalf
of William WOLLEY (her infant son).
Following the deaths of the original trustees,
Mr Thomas STATHAM attempted to have new trustees appointed.
- 1700 (17 Oct)
Indenture between John THORNHILL
and Ann his wife (granddaughter and heir of William BOOTH, gent, Lord
of the Manor) and Thomas STATHAM. Conveyed in trust for the copyholders
to Michael BURTON, Arthur DAKEYNE, Exuperius TURNER gent., and William
- 1700 - 1716
Court of Chancery proceedings against
the proprietors of the manor by Sir John STATHAM, knight.
Manuscripts, a major collection of pre 1828 documents for more
information on the manor
Charities (below) for
more on Anthony WOLLEY
Century Lists: Manorial Records, Extracts from 1851 A sample of
what is available at the DRO.
| Incomplete List of Trustees
for the Copyholders (1716 - 1903)
1716 - John BERRESFORD, John CHAPPELL, Charles GREAVES
1738 - Bache THORNHILL and others.
1760 - Francis RADFORD and others
1769 - Alexander BARKER, Brooke BOOTHBY, Francis HURT, William MILNES,
1785 - Brooke BOOTHBY, William MILNES, Bache THORNHILL
1798 - Philip GELL, John HOLLAND, Francis HURT, Bache THORNHILL, John
1830 - Bache THORNHILL
1871 - William Pole THORNHILL
1899 - John Gilbert CROMPTON Esq., Rev Fielding Arthur Wolfe Hamilton
1903 - Mr. James POTTER, solicitor, was the Steward.
The Court Leet and view of Frankpledge - with the Great Court Baron
- were held half yearly (alternately at Matlock and Matlock Bath).
| Nineteenth century expansion,
population and councils
Matlock and Matlock Bath expanded enormously
during the nineteenth century.
"In 1821 there were 605 houses in the parish, occupied
by 609 families, and 2,920 persons"
. By 1841 "the population [of Matlock]
... including Matlock Bath, Matlock Bank, Matlock Bridge, Riber,
Scarthin Nick and Starkholmes, amounted to 3,782 souls, and
the area in acres to 4,750".
Census, Parish of Matlock: Distribution of Occupations.
Examines the occupations of those living in Matlock and
District at the time of the 1841 census, highlighting some
interesting distribution patterns across the seven Enumeration
There was an increase of about one thousand
people every ten years between 1861 and 1891.
"The population in 1861, including Matlock Bath, Matlock
Bank, Matlock Bridge, Riber, Scarthin Nick and Starkholmes,
was 4,252, in 1871 was 5,220 and in 1881 was 6,093".
In 1891 the population numbered 7,131, but in 1894 the
creation of the new parish of Matlock Bath caused a "reduction" in
about the Parish in an extract from Kelly's 1891 Directory
|Population of Matlock
The ecclesiastical parishes of Matlock in 1901 were recorded as
- St. Giles (pop. 2,441) and Matlock Bank (3,276). There were
5,979 in Matlock civil parish and Urban District. Matlock Bath's
civil parish and Urban District had a population of 1,819 and
the ecclesiastical parish 1,550.
By 1911 there were 6,745 people in Matlock; the population was
divided between the ecclesiastical parishes of St. Giles (2,510)
and Matlock Bank (3,896 - including 431 in two of the hydros).
Matlock Bath's population in 1911 was 1,802, although the population
of the ecclesiastical parish was somewhat smaller at 1,551.
From 1894 Matlock and Matlock Bath had separate Urban District Councils.
Matlock UDC met in the Town Hall and the UDC for Matlock Bath and
Scarthin Nick held meetings in the Council Chamber, which was at first
located in upper rooms on the Parade but later in the newly built
Pavilion. The two joined together again in 1924 to form the Matlocks
Magistrates and Public Officers of Matlock Bath and Matlock in
etc in Kelly's 1908 Directory
etc. in Kelly's 1912 Directory
etc. in Kelly's 1916 Directory
If you'd like to have a rough idea about how the inhabitants came
and went there are some very basic statistics about a few in 1901
Did you know ...?
- The Online Historical Population Reports Website, providing
access to hundreds of official documents relating to the history of
civil registration and the taking of the censuses.
|William WALKER (1631)
He left a rent charge of 10s [10 shillings] yearly for ever,
to be paid out of his estate called Hillock Croft in the parish
George SPATEMAN (1647)
He left £80 [80 pounds] to the use of a school in Matlock, and
£20 [20 pounds] for the benefit of the poor in the parish.
These two legacies were laid out in the purchase of a house
and lands in the parish of Matlock in 1750. This property was
exchanged for a messuage and lands at Matlock.
|Several of these benefactors are
listed on the Benefaction
or Charity Boards displayed inside St. Giles Church
Thomas JOHNS (1667)
He gave four Bibles to the value of £1 [1 pound] and £2 p.a. [2 pounds
per annum] to be paid out of lands called Janckin Flat, Causeway Meadow
and Dick Lands, situated in Matlock. Bryan
states that up to 1827 the two latter fields were in the occupation
of Mr. Adam Woolley.
Anthony WO[O]LLEY (1668)
He left a further 5l. [£5] per annum towards the maintenance
of the free school at Matlock, and directed that a piece of land
should be set apart by his executors for that purpose. Whereupon
two pieces of copyhold land were conveyed upon trust to Mr. John
WO[O]LLEY and Mr. John SOWTER. In 1817, the Lyson's recorded there
was an annual income of 43l. 14s [£43 14 shillings] and
White's gives the annual income as £36 p.a. [£36 per
annum] - £30 to the school
master; £2 for incidental expenses; £4 to the poor.
The Wolley Manuscripts, a major
collection of pre 1828 documents
Daniel CLARK (1724)
He gave 10s [10 shillings] yearly for ever, to be paid out of his
estate in the parish of Matlock. Bryan states
that "in 1828 this sum was paid in respect of lands held by
Mr. Wigley Hayward HODGKINSON".
Joshua BRADLEY (1738)
He left a rent charge of 10s [10 shillings] a year out of land called
Allcock lying in Matlock Bank.
Thomas GARRETT, Esq. of Middlesex (1791)
He left £100 [100 pounds] to be invested in the Government
funds, the dividends to be given to 20 poor housekeepers not receiving
parish relief and to be distributed annually on St. Thomas's Day.
In 1857 this bequest was standing in the names of the Reverend
Philip GELL, Mr. Adam WOOLLEY and Mr. John NUTTALL. Bryan records
GARRETT as "of Hornsey".
Reverend Francis GISBORNE of Staveley (1818)
In his will written in 1818, confirming a deed of the previous year,
he left £5 10s p.a. [5 pounds 10 shillings per annum] for warm clothing
to be given to the poor of 100 parishes and chapelries in Derbyshire.
[Note: Bryan records the sum for Matlock as being £7 3s]
Robert CLAY (1874)
In his will signed on 14 May 1873 and proved at Derby the following
year, he bequeathed "unto the Rector and Churchwardens of the
parish of Matlock aforesaid the sum of One hundred and forty
pounds Upon trust to invest the same in the Public funds of
Great Britain and to apply and Expend the interest dividends
and annual income thereof for ever thereafter in the purchase
of bread or clothing or bread and clothing to be impartially
distributed annually on New Years day among such of the poor
and needy inhabitants of the said parish of Matlock as the Vicar
and the Church wardens for the time being of the said parish
shall select for that purpose".
Robert Clay was the 1C5R [first cousin five times removed] of the
author of these pages and there is a little more information about
The Andrews Pages Picture Gallery (Derbyshire section), which
includes several pages about Bonsall
| Matlock Voters
Parliament passed the Reform Act on 7 June, 1832 and so more men in
the country were eligible to vote for Members of Parliament. At that
time Derbyshire was split into two Divisions - North and South - and
Matlock (including Matlock Bath and Scarthin Nick) was in the Southern
Division under the Wirksworth Polling District.
On Tuesday 18th December, 1832 and Wednesday, 19th December, 1832
the first elections took place. Voters were able to chose between
three candidates to represent them:
The Hon. George John VERNON
Sir Roger GREISLEY, Bart
The Right Hon. Lord WATERPARK
Not all residents qualified to be a registered elector and some of
the electors did not live within the parish. For example, T. WILSON's
place of residence was given as Hulley-place, London but he was eligible
because he held freehold property in Matlock Bath, though in the event
he did not vote. Amongst other absent voters was John Charles MAYNARD
of Harlsey Hall, Yorkshire who qualified because he held a one-eighth
share of Matlock Old Bath, Matlock Bath. In total, 166 copyholders
and freeholders in the parish were eligible to vote and many of those
who did cast both of their votes. Abanathan DAFFIN of Starkholmes,
with a freehold in Riber, voted for both VERNON and WATERPARK. In
contrast, Joshua TOMISSON, a freeholder in Matlock Bath, voted for
GREISLEY. So did Rev. H. SIM, living in Matlock Rectory, who was eligible
because of his occupation.
If Matlock alone had elected the candidates, the outcome would have
been somewhat different : WATERPARK was the favourite in the parish
with 115 votes, VERNON polled 74 and GREISLEY trailed the field with
a mere 30 votes. However, the final result for the Southern Division
VERNON - 3048
GREISLEY - 1957
Lists of the electors of Matlock, and whom they voted for in several
elections in the nineteenth century, can be found in various Poll
Books. If you are interested in an ancestor who may have been eligible
to vote in Matlock in 1832, please email
me, to find out if they did.
- In the late nineteenth and early twentieth century there
was a sergeant who had four police constables under his
leadership at Matlock Bath Police Station.
The police station was in a little house at the rear of
and Station Hotel, at the bottom of Holme Road. As
the photograph below shows, the big round archway on Holme
Road led through to the police station where there was
a small cell with iron bars.
Matlock Bath's Former Police Station
Photograph © Jim Phelan, published
with kind permission
- Matlock Police Station on
Bank Road was built in 1893; it had three cells and a house
for the inspector or sergeant, later for the divisional superintendent.
The building was enlarged a few years later.
- Matlock and District Operatic Society was
founded in 1906. In 1907 they produced "Erminie" in
Matlock's Victoria Hall and the following year
performed Gilbert and Sullivan's "The
Mikado". The Victoria
Hall was in "grounds adjoining Smedley Street".
of programmes (1907-1969)
After 100 years as Matlock Amateur Operatic Society it
was decided to change the Society's name to reflect what
the group performs today.
Musical Theatre, formerly Matlock Operatic Society,
has a web site
- There were other groups of people who enjoyed singing.
Photographs of Matlock Ladies' Choir taken
in 1959 and Matlock Choral Group at
Tansley Methodist Church have been scanned, though are
not on the website.
contact the web mistress, who will forward your request
to the owner (Bernard Gale) if you are interested in
seeing the photos.
are details of the 1908 programme on this website,
including performers, officers and advertisers as well
as a picture of the cover. The proceeds that year were
for the benefit of local charities.
The Society's papers (1907-75) are held by the Derbyshire
Record Office Ref: D1572
- Matlock Brass Band was
attached to the Volunteers when it started in the mid nineteenth
century and the players wore uniforms. The cornettist, trainer
and leader was John Naylor of Sutton-in-Ashfield and George
Knowles gave considerable support and helped financially. By
1894 the bandmaster was H. Holmes.
They won quite a few prizes in the 19th century. For
example, in 1863 the Matlock Volunteer Band won the second
prize at the Leamington Brass Band Concert.
They also performed at local events, such as the ceremony
to "Turn the First Sod" for the Matlock Bath
Pavilion and Gardens Company Limited project in 1882. The
Matlock Volunteer Band appeared by kind permission of Captain
Brass Band is online
- Matlock Cycle Club members used a
cycle track in the latter part of the nineteenth century.
It was supposedly in the grounds of the Olde Englishe
Hotel, though the 1903 Ordnance Survey map of Matlock
shows an oval, presumably the track, at the very end of
Olde Englishe Road and seemingly not in the hotel's grounds
by then. It was just behind the buildings at the end of
Dale Road and on the opposite bank of the river to Knowlston
Cycle Club is now online
The original cycle track is shown on an early 20th century
- Matlock Golf Club opened in 1907. The course
was opened at Cuckoostone Grange, Matlock Moor. Henry TOWLE
was Hon. Sec. in 19161916.
Newspaper Cuttings, 1914 (competing in the Devonshire Cup).
- Matlock Bath Golf Club opened in 1903,
so pre dated the one at Matlock. The course of nine holes was
on land between Upperwood and Ember Lane and the links were
informally opened on 10th May when a number of members were present.
The Captain, Mr. H. M. Peacock, and Mr. Broome from Holloway
opened the links. The tees and greens had been laid out by the
golf professional, Mr. Cross.
Teas used to be served in a lean to erected on the side of the
clubhouse. The links were officially opened by the local M.P.,
Mr Victor C. W. Cavendish, on 23rd May.
- Matlock & District Rifle Club started
in 1900. The branches were initially at Matlock, Matlock Bath,
Tansley, Cromford, Darley Dale, Lea and Holloway. In 1903 the
president was Mr. F. C. ARKWRIGHT and the secretary Mr. W. JAFFREY.
The ranges were on Cuckoostone Moor.
Newspaper Cuttings, 1900
- National Reserve (Matlock Branch) was formed in
1912. In 1914 Captain F. C. ARKWRIGHT was Commanding Officer and the
Secretary was Quartermaster H. CLAY.
There is a report
of those participating in the Empire Day Parade 1914 and other
details elsewhere on this site
- Matlock Town Football Club - "The
Gladiators" - started in the nineteenth century (1876) and
they originally played on the Hall Leys.
1901 they played Grimsby, and the
visiting football team were staying at Jeff's Poplar Hydro
for the Matlock & District Sports club (1922),
which lists the Club's earlier achievements. You will need to scroll
The 1931-2 team
The photograph (above) shows a traffic free Causeway Lane in the
1950's, with the football ground on the left hand side of the
road, behind the hedge. In 1916 Matlock Cricket, Football & Athletic
Club (Alfred WRIGLEY, hon. sec.) was based at the grounds (Kelly's
Directory). The Hall Leys Recreation Grounds are on the right,
with Riber Castle dominating the skyline. The image was kindly
provided by Bernard Gale.
Photograph of Matlock's "arms" kindly provided by and ©
Photograph of the archway on Holme Road through
to the old Police Station kindly provided by and © Jim Phelan
Photograph of Causeway Lane kindly provided by and © Bernard
Information researched by the web mistress. Intended for personal
hyperlinks are to transcripts elsewhere on this website):
 "The High Peak
News", 18 August 1906. Article about the Matlock coat-of-arms
or "seal" which had been designed after much thought by Robert
Hall who had also registered the design to himself. Researched
by Colin Goodwyn.
 The Domesday volumes are held by the
Public Record Office, Kew.
The translation quoted above, referring to Matlock (MESTESFORDE),
is from: "Domesday Book Series: 27 Derbyshire" ed.
Philip Morton from a draft translation prepared by Sara Wood (1978),
Phillimore & Co. Ltd., London and Chichester © Mrs. Susan
Morris, 1978, ISBN 0 85033 165X (case) - ISBN 0 85033 166 8 (limp).
 Cox, J Charles (1877) "Notes on
the Churches of Derbyshire Vol II" Chesterfield: Palmer
and Edmunds, London: Bemrose and Sons, 10 Paternoster Buildings;
and Derby, p.518.
 White, Francis (1857) "Directory
of Derbyshire" (Matlock
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose
& Sons, Limited.
 Figures from "The Victoria History
of the English Counties. A History of Derbyshire Vol. II",
p. 204. Constable & Co., Pall Mall, London (1907) : (Ed. 1970)
University of London. ISBN 0 7129 0447 6.
 Lysons, Rev Daniel and Samuel Lysons
Esq. (1817) "Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire"
London: Printed for T. Cadell, Strand; and G. and A. Greenland, Poultry.
 Information extracted from personal papers
of web mistress.
 "The Derby
Mercury", Wednesday, 15 July, 1863.
 "The Derby Mercury",
Wednesday, 12 July, 1882.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 14 May 1903.
 "Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield
Herald", 30 May 1903.
| "The Post
Office Directory of Derbyshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire
and Rutlandshire", Kelly and Co., London (1848)
 "Kelly's Directory of the
Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland" (May,
 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire",
1916 "Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire",
There are online
19th century directories
20th century directories