Kelly's Directory, Derbyshire, 1891> This page
Ault Hucknall, Derbyshire
19th Century Derbyshire Directory Transcripts
From: Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland
pub. London (May, 1891) - pp.33-34
Kelly's Directory, 1891
Previous Page
Next Page
CLAY surname
entries for all four counties

Is the surname
CLAY mentioned in your old Ault Hucknall wills or documents?
If so, please email webmistress

Ault Hucknall Church
(Picture Gallery)

AULT HUCKNALL (or HAULT HAUCKNALL) is a widely scattered village and parish with a station at Rowthorne, on the Doe Lea branch of the Midland railway, 7 miles south-east from Chesterfield and 5½ north-west from Mansfield and 3½ from Clay Cross station on main line of Midland railway. The parish includes HARDWICK, STAINSBY, HARDSTOFT, ROWTHORNE and ASTWITH, and is in the Chesterfield division of the county, union and county court district of Mansfield, petty sessional division of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell. The church of St. John the Baptist, situated at the northern extremity of the parish, is a building of stone in the Norman and Early English styles, consisting of chancel with south or Hardwick chapel, nave, aisles, vestry, and a low central battlemented tower, with pinnacles at the angles, containing 5 bells, 4 dating from 1590 to 1664 and the 5th 1887 : the nave is separated from the narrow north aisle by two semicircular Norman arches, and at the east end of the nave, opening to the crossing, is a fine Norman arch of considerable span; the exterior of the church also affords many evidences of its Norman origin, the most remarkable being the tympanum of the west doorway, now built up, which is carved with rude mythological figures : the west window and nave and chancel roofs are Decorated, and the remainder of the church, including the tower, Perpendicular: in the Hardwick chapel, beneath a plain slab of black marble, is the tomb of the philosopher Thomas Hobbes, known as "Hobbes of Malmesbury," born there in April, 1588, and subsequently tutor to the 2nd and 3rd Earls of Devonshire and to the young Prince Charles ; his most famous philosophical work was the celebrated "Leviathan," but he is better known to Derbyshire readers as the author of a descriptive Latin poem called "De Mirabilibus Pecci ;" he died at Hardwick Hall, 4 Dec. 1679, aged 91 : at the east end of the chapel is the tomb of Anne (Keighley), wife of William, first Earl of Devonshire, ob. 1628, and in the chancel a slab with inscription in brass to Richard Pallison or Pauson, a former vicar of Hucknall dated 1536 : the chapel retains a small almery; there is another in the north aisle, and in the chancel an Early English piscina : in the vestry is a fragment of an ancient screen, as well as the original font : in the east window of the south chapel are remains or good ancient stained glass, with precatory inscriptions, to John Savage, Richard Pauson and John Hardwick (1528), father of Elizabeth, Countess of Shrewsbury, and the emblazoned coats of Savage, Hardwick and others: the church was restored and reseated in 1887 at the cost of the Marquess of Hartington P.C., M.P. : there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1660 for all entries. The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £79, with 46 acres of glebe value £53, net yearly value £131, in the gift of the Duke or Devonshire K.G. and held since 1859 by the Rev. Henry Cottingham M.A. of Magdalene College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Heath, where he resides. The sum of £3 3s. 6d. being the interest of £ 105 18s. 2d. left by Mr. W. Derrey, is to be annually given at Easter to the poor of this parish. Hardwick Hall, a seat of the Duke or Devonshire K.G., P.C. and at present a residence of his eldest son, the Marquess of Hartington P.C., M.P. erected in the reign of Queen Elizabeth by Elizabeth (Hardwick), Countess or Shrewsbury, is a noble mansion the number and size of the windows giving it a peculiarly elegant and striking appearance: the great hall is a lofty wainscoted apartment, hung as to its upper walls with fine Gobelins tapestry; it contains a statue of Mary Queen of Scots, by Westmacott, a full length figure of Henry VIII. and over the fire-place the arms of the countess : on the first floor is the chapel, partly hung with tapestry, furnishing examples of very early embroidery: the presence chamber, or state room, is a splendid apartment, 65 feet long, 33 wide and 26 high ; the upper portions of the walls are covered with pargeting in highly-coloured relief, and the lower hung with the finest tapestry: Mary Queen of Scots' room is so called from its containing the bed and other furniture used by that queen while a prisoner from 1568 to 1584, in charge of the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury at Sheffield and Tutbury castles, Wingfield manor and Chatsworth : the picture gallery is a noble room 170 feet long, 40 feet wide and 26 in height, lighted on one side by 18 windows, each 20 feet high ; on the opposite side are two chimney-pieces of various marbles, reaching to the cornice ; the ceiling is ornamented with a geometrical design in raised plaster. and the walls are covered with fine tapestry, some of it of very early date, but almost hidden by the pictures ; in this gallery and the various other apartments are numerous historical and family portraits. The old hall, which adjoins the present mansion and is now in ruins, was the family seat of the Hardwicks, and here "Bess of Hardwick" was born in 1519 ; this accomplished lady was married four times-to Robert Barley esq. Sir William Cavendish, ancestor of the Dukes of Devonshire, Newcastle and Portland, Sir William St. Loe and lastly (18 Nov. 1590) to George, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury, and died 13 Feb. 1607 : the park extends over 620 acres, and contains some old oak and other trees and is stocked with deer. The Duke of Devonshire K.G., P.C. is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is a light mixed ; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The acreage is 4.300 ; rateable value, £10,332; the population in 1881 was 747.

Parish Clerk. William Snell.

Letters are forwarded from Chesterfield. WALL LETTER BOX, Hardwick, cleared at 4.30 p.m. week days only ; Hardstoft, cleared at 3.50 p. m. week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Heath

Free, Stainsby, founded in 1729 by Mr. Thomas Whitehead, & endowed by Mr. John Phillips in 1734 with £40 10s. applied to the payment of the master & the purchase of books ; this endowment has been increased by a subsequent bequest of £6 10s. from the Rev. F. Gisborne, of Staveley ; the school holds 80 boys & girls ; average attendance, 70 ; William Snell, master

Church of England, Hardstoft, built in 1854, for 80 children ; average attendance. 60 ; Miss Elizabeth Brunt, mistress Church of England, Rowthorne, erected by the Marquess of Hartington, for 45 children; average attendance, 30; Miss M. A. Hunt, mistress

Doe Lea Colliery, erected in 1885, for 80 children ; average attendance, 35 ; Miss Lucy Perkes, mistress Railway Station, Rowthorne & Hardwick

Hartington Marquess of P.C., M.P..LL.D., D.L., J.P. Hardwick hall; & 78 Piccadilly w ; Reform, Brooks' & Devonshire clubs s w & City Liberal club E c London
Gascoigne Rev. Walter John B.A. Stainsby mill

Bee John, tobacconist, Hardstoft
Blanksby John, farmer, Astwith
Blanksby William G. Hardwick inn
Broadbead Thomas, carpenter, Stainsby
Brown Lewis, farmer, Astwith
Brown John, farmer, Hardstoft
Brunt James, farmer, Hardstoft
Brunt James, jun. farmer, Locker lane
Cartwright Joseph. farmer, Astwith
Cartwright Samuel, farmer, Hardstoft
Clay Edward, butcher, Hardstoft
Clay Sampson, Shoulder of Mutton P.H. & farmer, Hardstoft
Clay John, farmer, Hardstoft
Clay William, farmer, Timber lane
Clayton Robert, farmer, Timber lane
Cox William Saniforth, farmr. Rowthorne
Cutler Thomas, farmer
Eaton Geo. carpenter to the Hardwick Hall estate
Farnsworth Elizh. (Mrs.), farmer, Hagg
Farnsworth William, farmer, Stainsby
Fisher James, farm bailiff, Sheepbridge Coal Co
Fisher Edward, farmer, Rowthorne
Fretwell George, flour dealer, Stainsby
Fretwell John, farmer, Stainsby
Fretwell Louisa (Mrs), farmer, Stainsby
Fretwell Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Stainsby
Gill Thomas, farmer, Astwith
Glapwell Colliery (Sheepbridge Coal & Iron Co.) (Charles Snow, certificated manager)
Goodwin Joseph, boot maker, Stainsby
Hardwick Colliery Co. Holmwood colliery
Haslam William, whitesmith, Hardstoft
Hayne William, wheelwright, Stainsby
Hitch William, farmer & miller (water), Stainsby mill
Hodgson Richard, farmer, Stainsby
Leslie Wm. stud groom, Hardwick hall
Marriott George, farmer, Timber lane
Marriott Samuel, farmer, Hardstoft
Page Geo. head keeper, Hardwick hall
Saunders Elizh. (Mrs.),farmer, Astwith
Shepherd John, shopkeeper, Doe Lea
Smith George, farmer, Hardstoft
Spray Levi, wheel wright, Rowthorne
Snell Wm. registrar of births & deaths for Pleasley sub-district, Stainsby
Taylor Peter, shopkeeper, Stainsby
Turner Srh. (Mrs.) & Abel, farmrs. Astwth
Waters Eliza (Mrs.), farmer, Stainsby
Whittaker William, farmer, Rowthorne
Wilson Edm. head grdnr. Hardwick hall
Wilson Nathnl. Jabez, farmer,Hardstoft

[End of transcript. Spelling, case and punctuation are as they appear in the Directory.]

My Kelly's Directory

An Ann Andrews historical directory transcript

Village Links

More on site information about Ault Hucknall and the surrounding area
Derbyshire's Parishes, 1811 (Index) - see Hault Hucknall
The Gentleman's Magazine Library - Derbyshire to Dorset
Wolley Manuscripts, Derbyshire for more information about Derbyshire deeds, pedigrees, documents and wills