This wonderful photograph of the ancient lime tree, that stood for
centuries on Lime Tree Hill, was taken by the Matlock photographer
Joseph V. Drake. The winter scene, with the valley below Riber
full of mist, is believed to date from the 1920s. The road was
slushy, so perhaps snow had fallen a few days before. The old tree
stood at the junction of Lime Tree Hill and what is known today
as Hurst Rise, but was then called Dark Lane. The buildings shown
on the left of the picture were on Dark Lane, opposite Lime Tree
House. The tree was showing signs of its great age, with several
large limbs damaged and broken. It was felled on 26th March
1928, as shown on the image's mount (below), which was both dated
and signed by the then Surveyor of the Matlocks Urban District
Council, Mr. Joseph Turner.
The tree was never replaced.