Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21st Century Images> This page
Matlock Bath: The Fish Pond (2)
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name

Before 1840

South Parade & Heights, 1914-18
(fish food)

Fishpond, 1927
(and fish food)

The Fish Pond & Pavilion

The Grand Pavilion
(The Kursaal), 1915

An attractive sepia view of the Fish Pond and the Pavilion behind it. It probably dates from just after the first world war. The tufa in the centre of the fishpond has grown a little bigger than it was on on the images on the previous page. Apart from the three people standing beside the pond, who look as if they are getting ready to feed the fish, the place was deserted!

The fountain's water supply had been turned off, possibly so the pond could be cleaned during the winter months as most of the non-evergreen trees have no leaves on them. There are also no fish food dispensers beside the pond; these were a later addition. Like the later postcard, of The Fish Pond & Pavilion, the old milestone can be seen close to the pond's water inlet or overflow.

A large sign board was mounted on the stone wall below Temple Road, opposite the Pavilion or Kursaal as it had previously been called. Next to the sign are some small buildings. The white doors belong to what had been William Pearson's petrifying well, but the premises seems to be boarded up and rather dilapidated. There is a very small window in the front of the building which was possibly the ticket window. These buildings are also on the previous page. The petrifying well was to be sold, along with the Fishpond Hotel, in 1919[1].

A different sign on the road down to the river at the end of the Pavilion building had replaced the pre-1914 one; it pointed to the ferry and landing stage behind the Pavilion.

In the centre of the picture is the spire of Holy Trinity Church and the Royal Hotel stands above the wall bordering the main road, although it isn't very easy to see.

In addition to the pages about the Fish Pond in this section (click "Next", top right, to view them) there is an additional post WW2 image in the "Just Images section. It is a complete contrast to the quiet images shown here as the road was filled with lorries and vans.

"Matlock Bath, The Fish Pond" published by Photochrom Co. Ltd., London & Tunbridge Wells, No.49096, Exclusive Sepiatone Series. Unposted. There were a number of variations of this image, both coloured and cropped, that were published over the years. Of those that were posted the earliest found to date showed it had been posted in 1921.
Postcard in the collection of and provided by and © Pauline Jordan.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.

References (coloured links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this web site):

[1] "Derbyshire Advertiser and Journal", 5 September 1919. Preliminary notice of hotel sale, etc. In the event, the well was not sold at that time.