Images Index> 18th & 19th Century Images Index>
Matlock and Matlock Bath Images
Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
About Matlock | About Matlock Bath
Find a Name | Adding an Image
Elsewhere on the website: Andrews Pages Picture Gallery

Last page | First page
  Index of
Eighteenth & Nineteenth Century Images of Matlock Bath and Matlock -
on pages of their own, many with local history and biographical information

Albums and Booklets

The Popular Album of Matlock
Published by the Sheffield Telegraph sometime between 1891 and 1898
Famous Derbyshire Health Resorts. The Matlocks, about 1892. Part 1
This paper backed booklet would have been given to guests of both the New Bath and the Royal hotels when Thomas Tyack was the proprietor of both establishments (part 1 of 2)
Famous Derbyshire Health Resorts. The Matlocks, about 1892. Part 2
This paper backed booklet would have been given to guests of both the New Bath and the Royal hotels when Thomas Tyack was the proprietor of both establishments (part 1 of 2)

Before 1800

Matlock: Engraving of Matlock Bridge from an original by Turner, 1795
A finely engraved late 18th century view of the County Bridge by Turner, published in J. Walker's The Itinerant
Matlock High Torr &C, 1751 and 1776
Idyllic rural scene on the banks of the River Derwent below High Tor. Two eighteenth century images.
Matlock Bath: Old Bath Hotel Engraving, 1776
A thermal spring was discovered here in 1696. The Old Bath Hotel was developed for those seeking the curative powers of the spring water.
Matlock Bath from Lovers Walk, 1779
An engraving from "The Modern Universal British Traveller", with information about the Old Bath Hotel in Mr. Mason's day
The Cascade near Matlock Bath, late 18th century
An etching, published in the Lady's Magazine - the original was published in "The Modern Universal British Traveller"
Matlock Bath: High Tor, 1785
Engraving by Samuel Middiman from a drawing by John Smith published in "Select Views in Great Britain"

Matlock Bath and Matlock Dale, 1801-1850

Matlock Bath, 1806
Engraving from "A Guide to all the Watering and Sea-Bathing Places; with a Description of the Lakes".
The Old Bath in Mr. Leedham's time and when Joseph Cumming became its proprietor.
Matlock Bath from the Temple House, 1810
A hand coloured engraving, with quote from "Peak Scenery". Mr. Leedham's departure from the Old Bath and the Old Bath and the Temple becoming two separate entities.
Matlock Bath: View of High Tor, by F. Chantrey, 1822
Engraving of a Francis Chantrey drawing published in Peak Scenery.
Matlock Bath: High Tor by Thomas Allom, about 1836 *Updated*
Engraved by J. W. Lowry from a drawing by Thomas Allom.
Matlock Bath: Ferry Over the Derwent, about 1836
Engraving for "The Counties of Chester, Derby, Nottingham, Leicester, Rutland, & Lincoln Illustrated".
Matlock Bath: South Parade, from a sketch by Samuel Rayner
1830 lithograph from a sketch by Rayner, who lived in Matlock Bath.

Matlock Bath: Cumming's Old Bath Hotel *New image*
Dating from the 1840's, this card was found in old family documents. It was where the likes of Lord Byron and Walter Scott stayed when they visited Matlock Bath to take the waters. Includes a quote from Ward's 1814 "Guide" and an engraving from Adam's "Gem of the Peak".
Matlock Bath: Museum Parade, Old Bath Terrace & the Heights, 1840
With William Adam's description of the view from Old Bath Terrace from "The Gem of the Peak".
Matlock Bath: Adam & Co., Royal Museum Advertisement, 1840
Two page advertisement for Adam and Co's Royal Museum, now with enlargement of the Museum
Matlock Bath: South Parade and Fishpond, before 1840
Vignette engraving published by F. and J. Harwood
Matlock Bath: Engraving, before 1840
Steel engraving of Matlock Bath, from a drawing by W. H. Bartlett

Matlock Bath and Matlock Dale, 1851-1900

Matlock Bath: Romantic Rocks or Dungeon Tors, 1864.
Secluded rocks popular with nineteenth century tourists.
Matlock Bath, from the Heights of Abraham, 1866-78
Photograph of the south of Matlock Bath
Matlock Bath: North Parade, late 1870's (1)
One of two early photographs of Fountain Villas, Derwent Parade and the Promenade
Matlock Bath: North Parade, late 1870s (2)
The second of two early photographs of Fountain Villas and Derwent Parade, this one showing the Ladies' College
Matlock Bath: The Devonshire Hotel & North Parade, 1870s *New*
Carte de Visite of the southern end of North Parade, showing the streetside view of the hotel and mostly early Victorian buildings on the opposite side of the road.
Matlock Bath: CDV of North Parade, 1870s (3)
The Derwent before Jubilee Bridge was built and the Parade before the promenade was developed.
Matlock Bath: River Derwent
Engraving, engraver unknown. From an undated American guide from the latter half of the 19th century.
Now with a fuller quotation about the village.

Matlock Bath: Postcards, about 1890
The River Derwent and Derwent Terrace, Matlock Bath, probably from the railway bridge. Three images.
Matlock Bath: Jubilee Bridge, The Promenade, 1890

Matlock Bath: River Derwent & the Devonshire Hotel, 1890
Pretty postcard and albumen photo of buildings reminiscent of Venice on the riverbank of the Derwent in Matlock Bath. They were eventually demolished for road widening.
*Image replaced and extra info 2021*
Matlock Bath: River Derwent and Heights - a CDV from the late 1800s
Carte de Visite taken by William Potter. Plus a lucky escape from drowning and a long lived resident who enjoyed fishing.
Matlock Bath in the 1890s
A Victorian photograph that was taken outside the Temple Hotel between 1887 and 1898, looking towards Waterloo Road and Holme Road
Matlock Bath: Jubilee Bridge, River and Promenade, 1890s
Nineteenth century postcard of the River Derwent
Matlock Bath: North Parade & Ferry from Bridge, 1892
Matlock Bath: Derwent Terrace, 1892

Matlock Bath from the Heights of Abraham, 1892
Visitors to Matlock Bath in 1892 were determined to enjoy themselves even when the weather was bad. The Royal Hotel had some well known guests, too. Yet Old Bath Hill proved to be very controversial. There were even nocturnal explosions.

} Matlock Bath: Ashfield, previously The Villa
} Described as the oldest property in the place in the mid-nineteenth century. It was first known as The Old Bath-house.
} Three cards
Matlock Bath : Bath Terrace Hotel, 1891-3
The oldest photograph of the former hotel
Matlock Bath : Bath Terrace Hotel, Tariff of Charges, 1891-3
Beautifully illustrated booklet dating from Robert Watson's time as the proprietor.
Matlock Bath: Brunswood Terrace
The houses were built in the 1860s. Photographed by William Potter. The CDV was taken to Canada by a local man who emigrated there in 1913.
The Church and Boat House, Matlock Bath, 1887-9
From an oil painting by Henry Hadfield Cubley
Matlock Bath: Dale Road, Stereoview
Tor House and other property near the colour works
Matlock Bath: Dale Road, 1895
The first view of Matlock Bath for those arriving by train
Matlock Bath and the Heights of Abraham, 1890s
The view from the Station Approach looking towards the opposite hillside of Masson and the Heights of Abraham, with information about the licensees of The County and Station Hotel
Stereoview of Matlock Bath and Holme Road, 1870s
The earliest development on either side of the relatively newly built Holme Road, on the hillside below the Heights of Abraham
Matlock Bath: Stereoview of Lovers' Walk, 1859-62
Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel Stereoview
The New Bath Hotel was managed by Miss Ivatts and Mrs Jordan and had some illustrious visitors

Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel, from Wild Cat Tor *New*
CDV of both the hotel and the properties nearby, with a contemporary description of the hotel by William Adam. An engraving of the hotel and its famous lime tree, from Adam's books, has been added.
Matlock Bath: The Pavilion on the Hillside, mid 1880s *New*
Panoramic view, showing the recently opened Royal Hotel, the Church, the newly built Pavilion and the Victorian Houses on Clifton Road.

} Matlock Bath from the Royal Pavilion (Palais Royal), 1890
} Two very similar views that late nineteenth century and early twentieth century
} visitors to Matlock Bath's old Pavilion would have seen
Matlock Bath: Petrifying Well Stereoview
Includes an enlargement. It is interesting to see what objects 19th century visitors wanted to be petrified.
Matlock Bath: Royal Hotel Obelisk, Donkeys for Hire
Donkeys were used to transport visitors up to the caverns high on the hillside. A stereoview.

Matlock Bath: South Parade Stereoviews, by two early photographers *Addition*
Matlock Bath's first resident photographer, John Clarke, lived on South Parade. Another local, John Latham, took an earlier view of the Parade.
High Tor & Railway Station, Matlock Bath, 1862
Vignette engraving of High Tor and Matlock Bath station, with its distinctive chalet-style roof
Matlock Bath: The High Tor, the Railway and the Gas Works, mid 1860s *New*
CDV taken by Mr. or Mrs. Petschler.
Stereographic Photo of Matlock Bath Station, 1860
A hold-to-light tissue stereographic photo, with an element of surprise
Stereoview of Matlock Bath Station, Nineteenth Century
Holiday crowds, and a serious accident at the end of a day trip to the village
Matlock Bath: The Ferry and Lovers' Walks
Stereoview of the ferry and other boats, taken by Alfred Seaman
Matlock Bath: Stereoview of the Ferry and Ferry House
Taken from Orchard Holme (the Derwent Gardens today).
Matlock Bath: The Ferry House, Spar Shop & Obelisk *New*
Rare photograph of the Ogden's shop, the Ferry House and the obelisk below the Royal Hotel.
Matlock Bath: The Riverbank, Later to be the Derwent Gardens
Dating from about 1880, this wonderfully clear photograph shows the land where the Derwent Gardens is today
Matlock Bath: Toll Bar at Artists' Corner, before 1879 *Updated*
Nineteenth century photo of the Toll Gate opposite High Tor
Matlock Bath: Warm Walls Toll Bar, before 1879 *Re-written*
Photograph of Warm Walls that hung on the chimney wall in a classroom at Holy Trinity School in Matlock Bath for many years
Matlock Bath: Upper Wood, with views of Matlock Bath & Starkholmes
Late nineteenth century postcard showing the settlement. Taken about 1890.

Matlock, 1801 - 1900

Matlock Bank: The Duke of Wellington and the Hascarlane Toll Bar, 1892 *New*
Late eighteenth century or early nineteenth century building that became an inn. Unique view of the former toll house, that was about to be demolished. With members of the Smith family.
A second photo, from the early 1940s, is included for comparison.
Matlock Bridge, late 1880's
Late nineteenth century photo of Dale Road, Matlock Bridge - and the Bank.
Matlock Bridge & Bank, early 1890s. With Bridge House (Hall)
Matlock: Bridge & Bank, early 1890s
Property development at the southern end of Dale Road, the fire at the Old English Hotel and its subsequent re-building and re-furbishing.
With 1881 notice of the Hotel's Share Issue.
Matlock Bank & Matlock Bridge, late 1890s
Includes the Bank's development, Council rubbish tips and Matlock's Conservative Club.
Matlock: Railway Bridge with Matlock Bank in the Distance, 1863
Engraving from the sixth edition of "Smedley's Practical Hydropathy" showing the railway, the Boat House Inn and Matlock Bank.

Matlock Bank and Matlock Bridge, 1890s.
Viewed from the top of High Tor. Two images.

Matlock Old Church, 1870 & before *New image*
Just before the church closed for major rebuilding. With an engraving of the church from about 1845.

Matlock: St. Giles' Church, 1890s.
The parish church before the renovation of 1897-8. Includes the purchase of a safe for storing the parish registers. Two images
Cottages, Matlock Dale, 1899 *Updated*
Designed by Sir Guy Dawber. His drawings were published in "The Building News"

Matlock: Dale Road, Boat House Hotel & Bridge, 1870s
Three rare views of the Boat House Hotel in Matlock Dale dating from Thomas Rawson's long tenure as the innkeeper, including one of the first footbridge in the Dale. It was destroyed in the floods of 1881.
Matlock Green: Knowleston Place, 1862
Vignette of Knowleston Place engraved for the London publishers Rock & Co.

Matlock's hydropathic establishments, 1850s-1899

Matlock: Chesterfield House Hydro, 1868 *New*
A steel engraving of Ralph Davis' Chesterfield House Hydro, executed not long after it was built.

Matlock Bank: Mr. Cartledge's Lime Tree View Hydro, 1863 Advertisement.
Two page advertisement for William Cartledge's hydropathic establishment, published in the 1863 edition of John Smedley's "Practical Hydropathy".
Matlock Bank : Matlock House Hydropathic Establishment
Advertisement, with engraving, from "Black's Guide to Derbyshire" (1888), with quotation from the guide and a later directory. Now includes details of the nineteenth century proprietors.
Plan of Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment, Matlock, 1875
Matlock: United Methodist Free Chapel, Smedley's Hydro, 1885
The building, erected by John Smedley within the grounds of his hydro, was used as a place of worship for a relatively short time.
Matlock: Smedley's Hydro Prospectus, 1885-6
Small folding brochure, with details of the hydropathic establishment.
Matlock: Smedley's Hydropathic Institution, 1890s


Scarthin Nick From Allen's Hill, 1892
The hamlet of Scarthin was for many years part of Matlock Bath. The parish boundary went along the edge of the Greyhound Pond.

Nine nineteenth century images from John Smedley's "Practical Hydropathy", 1874:

Matlock: View From Matlock Bank
Looking towards Matlock Village (Old Matlock), High Tor and Masson.

Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, Starting Out
How John Smedley began. Inside the hydro and a view from it.
Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, Public Drawing Room
Includes a quotation from the preface, a letter from a grateful patient and more about Smedley's physican, Dr. W. B. Hunter

Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, Extending the Hydro
The hydro was extended several times. Shown here are the second and third "enlargements" and includes a contemporary
description by William Adam.
Matlock: Riber Hall engraving
Mr. and Mrs. Smedley lived there for a time. It was the home of the Allen family in the middle of the century
Matlock Bath from the Heights of Abraham
An engraving by C. Bailey
Heights of Abraham, Matlock Bath

Engravings from "Mrs. Smedley's Ladies Manual", 1879
These are dotted throughout the book but there is no accompanying description to relate the pictures to the book. The images are purely decorative.

Lea Mills, one mile from Cromford Station, Derbyshire
Engraving of Matlock Bath, from the Wild Cat Tor
Engraving of High Tor Tunnel, Matlock Bath
Riber Castle, Four Mid-Nineteenth Century Engravings
One from Mrs. Smedley's book and three smaller ones from John Smedley's book
Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment, Matlock Bank
"It is always being enlarged".
View from the Black Rocks, overlooking Cromford Cotton Mills (the first built in England), Willersley Castle, Heights of Abraham and the High Tor

And from both books:

Matlock: Water Cures, Mr. Smedley's Baths, Boxes & Douches
John Smedley designed a range of steam boxes, baths and douches, as well as some other gadgets, for use at both the hydropathic establishment and the free hospital. He believed that the surface of the skin should be kept clean and soap and water were important.

Willersley Castle

Matlock: Cromford Hall (Willersley Castle), before 1791
Sir Richard Arkwright's mansion took some years to build, and this copper engraving seems to show an unfinished structure.
Willersley Castle, Seat of Richard Arkwright, Esq., 1802
Engraving from '"The Beauties of England and Wales"', by John Britton and Edward Wedlake Brayley, Vol III, published in 1802, Cumberland, Isle of Man, and Derbyshire
Matlock: Willersley Castle, 1836 *New*
Willersley and the relatively newly roadway blasted through Scarthin Rock, from an original drawing by Thomas Allom.