Matlock & Matlock Bath's Memorial Inscriptions
|Surnames Index for all Matlock and
Matlock Bath's memorials, and many MI transcripts
Miscellaneous Memorials and Inscriptions - in the Matlocks
A selection of memorials and inscriptions that are or have been in
Matlock and Matlock Bath. This is not a complete list; it mostly
consists of extracts from Benjamin Bryan's: "Matlock
Manor and Parish",
with additional inscriptions from Glenorchy and the Hall Leys.
| Matlock, Congregational
|In July 1920 Matlock Congregationalists unveiled
a war memorial at their chapel. The money for a rose window
had been raised by returning soldiers. A tablet underneath
was of carved oak, sunk into the dado of the chancel and surmounted
by a cross. The inscription read:
"This rose window was given by their returned comrades-in-arms
as a tribute to the memory of E. Andrews, S. H. Andrews, O.
Flint, G. Hall, J. Margerrison, A. Toplis, A. Whittaker, and
T. Wilson, who laid down their lives in the Great War, 1914-1919.
They followed in His train."
("Derbyshire Courier", 31 July 1920)
| Matlock, Conservative
|In June 1920 Lord Hartington unveiled a bronze
memorial plaque in Matlock Conservative Club as they had suffered
heavy losses in the war.
The inscription read:
"Matlock Conservative Club. In memory of the members and
stewards of this club who fell in the Great War, 1914-18".
The names recorded were C. Barnes, W. Bosley, A. B. Campbell,
L. G. Dickinson, G. Else, G. S. Hall, E. Henstock, W. B. Jackson,
J. Margerrison, W. H. Rowlands, G. Stacey, T. Swann, R. Wheatcroft,
F. Wheatcroft and F. White.
("Derbyshire Courier", 5 June 1920).
Green, Six Almshouses
Over the central doorway of the almshouses
are carved the words:
"TO THE GLORY OF GOD"
Below this is a plaque and the text is in capital letters:
"These almshouses are built, and as
a memorial of her beloved brother Wm. HARRISON M.D., of
Dean Hill House, Matlock, by his sister Margaret HARRISON,
to provide rest for the aged poor".
The almshouses were endowed in 1898
| Matlock, Hall Leys
Erected by Voluntary Subscription
To the Memory of
POLICE CONSTABLE ARTHUR WRIGHT
WHO LOST HIS LIFE BY DROWNING WHILST
ATTEMPTING TO SAVE ANOTHER
March 27th 1911
Repositioned and Rededicated on 23rd March 1987 to commemorate the
of the Derbyshire Mutual Welfare Fund
| Cromford Bridge
|"The leap of Mr. B. H. MARE, June, 1697."
[Benjamin Bryan (1903) commented that ' a spirited horse, instead
of taking the sharp turn to the left to cross the bridge, leaped
the parapet, carrying its rider with it to the ground on the other
side, a depth of 20 to 30 feet, and both escaped unhurt.
There is more about this in the Derbyshire Photos on: Cromford:
Bridge over the Derwent and Entrance to Willersley Castle.]
| Victoria Tower, Masson
| Glenorchy (Congregational)
|"Erected by members of this church in loving
memory of Frank Wigley Boden, William John Finney*, Angus Walker
Hall and Ernest Henry Wildgoose who gave their lives for God and
country in the war 1914-18. Greater love hath no man than this."
[This was unveiled on Sunday 10 August 1919 by Mr. S. Sprinthall
and Mr. R. Webster, Senior Deacons.
The whereabouts of this memorial is not known as Glenorchy Independent
Chapel was demolished for road widening.
*Also commemorated Matlock Bath - see
| Scarthin Mission Church
|"This tablet was erected by loving friends
to the memory of the Rev. Edward LATHAM, M.A. (late vicar of this
parish), who died March 9th, 1883, aged 49. 'The memory is just blessed.'"
Photographs kindly provided by and © Paul Kettle, an undisclosed
contributor and the webmistress.
Information researched by and © Ann Andrews and Charles Beresford.
Intended for personal use only
 Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History
of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose
& Sons, Limited
 Beresford, Charles "The Bath
at War, A Derbyshire Community and the Great War" (2007).
Country Books/Ashridge Press. ISBN 978 1 901214 91 8. p.447. Published
here with kind permission.