ARKWRIGHT of Willersley-hall [sic].
The founder of this family was the late Sir Richard Arkwright,
who, from an humble origin acquired opulence by the industrious
application of his extraordinary mechanical talents, to the improvement
of cotton manufacture. He was sheriff of the county in 1786,
and the same year created a knight. In 1782 he purchased the
Willersley estate, and, in 1788, built Willersley-hall [Willersley
Castle], which is now the residence of his son, Richard Arkwright,
(from: The Gentry listed in 1817).
||ARMS granted in 1787: Argent on a
mount in base a cotton tree, fructed Proper ; a chief,
Azure, thereon between two besants, an inescutcheon of the
first charged with a Bee volant erect, Proper.
CREST: An Eagle rising Or, having a shield Azure,
charged with a cotton hank, Argent, suspended from
its beak by a ribbon, Gules.
MOTTO : Multa, tuli fecique. (I have suffered and done many
The Lysons included a much simpler crest, with the cotton tree
in the centre. These arms have been reproduced
DEANE, of Matlock, afterwards of Beeley, descended from the Deanes,
of Deane-hall, in Cheshire.
Five descents are described in the Visitation of 1611.
Edward Deane, then living had a son Robert, 13 years of age. This
family removed to Ashbo[u]rne, became reduced, and is supposed
to be extinct.
FERNE of Parwich, Bonsall and Snitterton.
William Ferne, son of Thomas the first mentioned in the pedigree,
was at Parwich about the year 1500 ; his grandson was of Temple-Belwood
in Lincolnshire. This elder branch is probably extinct. Robert Ferne
of Bonsall, supposed to have been descended from a younger branch
of this family, although the descent could not be ascertained, had
a grant of arms, somewhat differing from those of Ferne of Parwich.
Henry Ferne, Esq., son of Robert, became possessed of Snitterton
by purchase, and died without male issue in 1723 ; one of his coheiresses
married Turnor of Lincolnshire.
ARMS of Ferne of Parwich: Per bend indented,
Or and Gules.
CREST: A garb, Or, between two wings expanded, per pale
indented, Or and Gules.
ARMS of Ferne of Bonsall: Per bend indented, Argent and Gules,
two lions heads erased ,counterchanged, crowned, Or.
CREST: A mount of Ferne, Proper, theron a garb, Or, banded, Gules.
(from: Families extinct, or removed out of the County, since
See the MI for Henry Ferne
at Bonsall Church.
John Sleigh's "Derbyshire Armory" (1864-5)
somewhat confused things as he stated the first crest is
Parwich, Bonsall and Snitterton, whereas the second crest
in Bonsall only0. As Henry Ferne moved from Bonsall to
Snitterton this cannot be correct. He also links it with
EVANS of Allestree-hall as that crest is quartered with
Ferne of Bonsall.
||ARMS: Erm. a cross patée throughout, gules.
CREST: A hand erect vested azure in the hand proper, a chaplet gules.
MOTTO : Fari quæ sentiat.
The Lysons did not include these arms. They have
been reproduced from Bryan.
NIGHTINGALE of Lea and Matlock
Peter Nightingale, Esq., purchased this estate in 1707. By the will
of Peter Nightingale, Esq., who was sheriff of the county in 1770,
his great nephew, William Edward Shore, Esq., took the name Nightingale
in 1815. He resides at Lea-wood house, near Cromford. No arms were
entered when the change of name took place.
SNITTERTON of Snitterton,
a branch of the Shirley family. The heiress married Sacheverell
before the year 1500.
(From Lysons: Families extinct before the Time of the Herald's
||ARMS: Gules, a snipe, Argent, gorged with
a crown, Or.
STEVENSON of Matlock and Weston
"The heiress, about the latter end of the seventeenth century,
married Saville, whose heiress married Gilbert" (from Lysons,
Families extinct or removed out of the County, since 1500).
||ARMS: Gules, a bend argent, charged with three
leopards' heads vert (another proper)
WOLLEY of Riber and Allen-hill
The family of Wolley are of considerable antiquity in Derbyshire
; the name occurs among gentry listed in the reign of Henry VI.
Two branches of this family were for many generations settled at
Riber and Allen-hill, in Matlock. The
Riber branch became extinct
by the death of Anthony Wolley, esq., in 1668. Mr. John Wolley,
of London, grocer, is the representative of the
His younger brother, Mr. Adam Wolley, to whom we have been indebted
for so much valuable assistance, resides at Matlock-Bath. A younger
branch of the Wolleys of Allen-hill, (some time extinct), was
for several generations, of Marston-on-Dove. Mr. William Wolley,
who wrote a M.S. history of Derbyshire about the year 1712, was
of this branch.
Lysons, The Gentry listed in 1817.)