In the first decade of the twentieth century James Wilby worked from
this shop on Dale Road. It says "J. Wilby, Ladies & Gents
Cash Tailor" on the glass of the door. The shop was then
in Dale Crescent but
the address is now 59 Dale Road. Although the shop front has
changed in the intervening years the first floor window with
the Victorian decorative coloured glass can still be seen today,
as can the down pipe from the gutters (launders) between the
On the back of the postcard is a scribbled note dated 6th May
1908 about someone being unwell, but printed down the left side
JAMES WILBY, Ladies and Gents Tailor, DALE ROAD, MATLOCK BRIDGE.
/ Ladies Costumes from 45/- / Suits to Measure from 37/6 / Frock
Coat and Vest from 45/-".
James Wilby was born in 1862, a son of John and
Ann Wilby of Barnsley. His father was a tailor by trade and John's
three sons carried on the family business. For a while James worked
with his brother Joshua but in 1888 the partnership between them
was dissolved and
James moved to Rotherham where he continued to work as a Tailor
He had married Letitia Wilkes Green in the Rotherham District in
1890. By 1901 the couple were living in Tansley with their children
at some stage before 1911 the family moved to Henry Avenue. James
was not at home at the time of the 1911 census as he was visiting
another clothier and outfitter in Penistone, and he was then unemployed.
It is not known when the Wilbys moved away from Matlock, but James
did not advertise in Kelly's 1912 Directory.
The Gillespie's, Archibald and Mary Elizabeth, took
over the Dale Road shop vacated
by Mr. Wilby in 1910. Archibald Gillespie had been a cutter in a leading
North of England firm before setting up his business in Dale Road.
He established workshops, where tailoring work was carried out,
and sold well known brands such as Aquascutum.
About 1935 he ventured into poultry farming at Haxby, though he seems
to have been less successful at that occupation.
He and his wife were still in Matlock and living on Snitterton Road
when war broke out in 1939 and are buried at St. Giles'..
A more recent photograph of the Victorian coloured glass
in the top of the first floor window.