Here are three sepia cards, showing South Parade and the
River Derwent from various viewpoints on Waterloo Road.
Although the top postcard was not used, the image was registered
by Valentine's in 1927. We can see the dome of Grand Pavilion,
originally called "The Kursaal", peeping above
the trees with the Royal Hotel immediately behind it; the
original (Old) Pavilion is higher up the hillside. The large
rounded roof, bottom right, belongs to the Fountain Baths.
Houses on Temple Walk can be seen above the shops and houses
of South Parade.
People were strolling along the footpaths of Lovers' Walks on the
left side of the riverbank.
Whilst it is difficult to see there is a banner spanning
the main road through the village, seemingly suspended between
the Devonshire Hotel and the buildings opposite (so possibly
1 or 2 North Parade), and advertising Matlock Bath's Musical
Festival. This was an annual event that had begun in September
1923. So we
can calculate that this photograph would have been taken
in either the August or September of 1927.
The second image was taken a few years earlier. It affords
us a better view of the church, the Grand Pavilion and Royal
Hotel as it was photographed from slightly higher up, so
we can see Matlock Bath against the backdrop of both Cat
Tor (behind the church and to the left) and the Cromford
hillside in the far distance. Close to the bend in the road
is the Devonshire Hotel, with the white rectangular sign
high up on the hotel's wall, and beyond it is a white building.
This was originally William's Garage and was later used by
North Western Bus Co. It
also shows us, centre and just above the bottom of the post
card, the aviaries and monkey houses on Lovers' Walks that
were such an attraction between the wars.
The third image was, again, not posted but probably dates
from the 1930s. Two important buildings had suffered irreparable
fire damage in early 1929 and had to be demolished. The main
wing of the Royal Hotel had been destroyed and was never
rebuilt. Boden's Restaurant (later the Glove Factory building)
next to the Grand Pavilion had also disappeared from the
Enlargement of a section of the third postcard, showing what
remained of the Royal Hotel after the 1929 fire.
There are buses in the Grand Pavilion's car park. These also
would not have been seen before 1929.