Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21st Century Images> This page
Matlock Bath: River Derwent from Willersley Road
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name


Cromford Church and Bridge (in another part of this site)



Southern entrance to the Dale



Woodbank
The first of a series of pages


The young man in the bowler hat is sitting on the grass under Scarthin Rock beside the Derwent. On the opposite side of the river are the lawns of Willersley Castle. The publisher, by giving this the title 'from Willersley Road' really means that this is the view from the riverside track. When this picture was taken there was one of Willersley Castle's gatehouses, Scarthin Lodge, at the A6 end of the path; the lodge was demolished when the A6 was widened. St. Mary's Chapel is at the other end, on Mill Road (see "Cromford Church and Bridge", linked on the right).

The large property on the hillside is Woodbank and the hillside is known as Harp Edge. The Reverend Richard Ward wrote in 1827: "On the left of the same entrance into the dale [i.e. from Cromford where the turnpike road had been blasted through Scarthin Rock] is a high and steep hill called Harp Edge : this is the termination of the lofty mountainous country, which bounds the whole valley of Matlock on its western side"[1].


"The River Derwent from Willersley Road, Matlock Bath". Derbyshire "Artistic" Series, G Marsden & Son, Wirksworth and London, No.1998. Posted 12 Sep 1919 at Wirksworth. Personal message not relevant to picture. Another version of this card was posted in 1906.
Image © Ann Andrews collection.
Information researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only.

References:

[1]] Ward, Reverend Richard (1827) "The Matlock, Buxton and Castleton Guide, containing concise accounts of these and other remarkable places ... in the ... County of Derby", Derby