The Radium Well (or Royal Well) was built of tufa, probably
early in the twentieth century. This was the location of
the first spring to be discovered in Matlock Bath in 1696,
the Old Bath Spring (Wolley's Well).
The first bath was built a couple of years afterwards; it
was constructed of wood and lined with lead, and
used the spring as the water source. It was this spring that
led to the erection of the Old
Bath Hotel and its water also supplied the Royal Hotel
which was built on the same site, though the Royal Hotel
was built closer to the Matlock Bath Church than the Old
Bath had been.
the replacement for the lead lined bath, which was constructed
of stone, as "secured by a stone wall on every side,
by which the water is brought to rise to a due height; and
if it is too high there is a sluice to let it out as low
as you please". He recounted that the water was "but
just milk warm". The Lysons recorded the dimensions
as "17 feet high, 33 feet long, and 20 feet wide".
The Royal Well can be seen today in the public car park
on Temple Road that now covers the former hotel site. It
is shown on three roughly contemporary images of the Royal
Hotel elsewhere on this site:
Bath: Royal Hotel & Baths.
Bath: The Royal Hotel and garden. The second image
down shows the hotel's garden and the well is on the left
Bath: The Royal Hotel, Pavilion & Holy Trinity Church.
It appears to be a pile of rubble,
so was possibly about to be built