The Royal Hotel after the large extension had been added to the
rear of the building. The tennis courts and bowling green can
be seen on the left of the hotel.
Over the years the Royal Hotel was used for public functions and
conferences as well as for private visitors. For example, in
1883 the Associated Chamber of Commerce visited the hotel.
Six years later the Midland Gas Managers' Association met there.
Perhaps the most significant conference that ever took place at
the Royal Hotel, though, was during the First World War when the
first Boy Scout Commissioners' Conference was held there.
The event is still remembered in the village today, commemorated
on a plaque beside the drinking fountain that was erected by the
The Scout Conference was held in March 1917 and Scouts from the district
attended a Sunday Parade. They marched from Matlock to Holy Trinity
Church where the Chief Scout, Sir Robin Baden-Powell, read the lesson
at a special service. The youngsters then assembled in the grounds
of the Royal Hotel, where they were inspected by the Chief Scout.
Just a few months later, on 30th November, it was announced that
the Royal Hotel was to be taken over as a hospital for "wounded
Bath's Scout and Rovers Troops were named after Baden Powell, presumably
to commemorate his visit to the village.