On the roadside directly opposite the Grand
Pavilion is a small tufa crenellated stone shelter; next to
it is this fountain. It was made in 1881 and erected just
a little further down the road, but had to be moved to
its current position in 1986. It was cast by the engineering
contractors Handyside of Derby, the engineering and iron
foundry company that built Friargate Bridge in Derby and
the iron girders for Lancaster Market as well as making
lots of post boxes!
Above it is a stone plaque commemorating 1st Matlock Bath
Scouts in King George VI's jubilee year (1935) when the fountain
was restored for the second time.
The first restoration was undertaken following the first
Conference of Scout Commissioners that was held at the
Royal Hotel in 1917. To mark the occasion the Scouts of
the 1st Matlock Troop, having marched from Matlock, attended
a service at Holy Trinity Church before going to the Royal
Hotel grounds where they were inspected by the Chief Scout,
General Sir Robert Baden Powell.
Plaque erected by Derbyshire Dales District Council in 1986
Close up of the top of the fountain