Looking down into the Dale from the top of High Tor. There was no pavement
on the side of the road that bordered the river at this time and
it was not until 1936 that work began to widen the road and add
a grass verge and a pavement. It was hoped to alleviate some of
the problems cased by
the bend of Artist's Corner as the camber was altered.
The first building we see along the road to Matlock, opposite the
suspension bridge, is the large property that used to be
called Tor Cottage (later the High Tor Hotel) and at the time
this picture was taken was the Matlock Garden School.
The curved wall in front of the building collapsed in 1939.
Next to Tor Cottage, but closer to the camera and to the south
of the building, is a quarry which is shown on the 1922
OS map; it "had a small crushing and cleaning plant, worked
by a gas engine, for dry stone".
This was the Flax Quarry, which closed in 1926.
There were eventually two small quarries between Tor Cottage and
Craven Villa, a detached house just a little way down the road
towards Matlock Bath. Basalt and some dolomite were quarried in
The access to the former Tor Cottage has changed in recent times
and a new entrance and driveway has been made which begins either
on the edge of the disused quarry or next to it.
The rocky outcrop known as Shining Cliff is on the hillside above
the bend of Artist's Corner, towering over St.
John's Church. Greenhills Farm is on the hillside above the Dale. The area beside the river
where, for a couple of centuries, artists used to sit and enjoy
a clear view of High Tor was still grassed in the 1920s. Today
it is a car park and the views of the Tor are no longer easy to
see because of the tree cover.
A card, showing the quarry, is on Matlock
Dale, Just Images.