|Matlock: Willersley Castle, about 1931
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards,
Engravings & Etchings
Following the Castle's purchase by the Wesley Guild movement from
the Arkwright's in 1927, an architect was appointed to make some
changes as the property was to be converted into a guest house
with accommodation for 100 visitors and would be open all the
year round. When the plans were revealed they showed he had taken
considerable care to preserve the distinctive features of Willersley.
An obvious external change was the addition of a new and larger
entrance, which is shown on this post card (compare this with
the sale brochure photograph, linked on the right).
Amongst the visitors in the late 1920s was a party of thirty Nottingham
young Methodists who discovered that
dancing was not allowed at the Castle so they complained to their
minister. He was not unsympathetic and wrote to the
Wesley Guild secretary suggesting that prohibiting dancing at the
property was out of date, and that the embargo ought to be removed.
Mr. J. Allen's reply was that the decision rested with the directors
of Willersley Castle, and that he personally favoured their decision.
This was definitely not the answer the young Methodists had hoped
"Willersley Castle, Cromford, Matlock". Chas. Colledge,
Smedley Street, Matlock. Posted 4 Oct 1931 in Derby and sent by Jack
to his mother, Mrs. J. Du Den, in Jersey
Postcard in the collection of and provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews.
Intended for personal use only
Daily Telegraph", 9 January and 2 February 1928.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph", 21