There were still a large number of fields on
Matlock Bank in 1908. This picture was taken from Snitterton Road
on the Masson hillside. The view is difficult to
replicate the view today because trees are in the way but it
could have been taken from roughly where Limestone Croft is today
or from closer to the White House.
It includes Smedley's Hydro, which
is the long grey building with the central tower slightly left
of centre, and several other hydropathic establishments. Matlock
House is just to the right of the chimney above Smedley's and Rockside
is slightly higher up. Chatsworth Hydro is probably the building
on the horizon, close to the trees. The card probably dates
from a couple of years before it was posted as the major extensions
at Rockside were complete but the spire had not been added to the
and United Reformed Church on Bank Road.
In the message on the back the unnamed sender compared Matlock
with Malvern (known today as Great Malvern) in Worcestershire.