Whilst little had changed in the street scene from the
previous image, Matlock was now emerging from the effects of the First World
War. Amongst the most important events in the town in 1919 were
the Peace Celebrations. The first event was held on
the Hall Leys on Saturday 19th July, at the same time as the
Council were considering the provision of a memorial to the
It seems to have been a relatively low key occasion, consisting
of sports for the children and tea for the older residents.
Few buildings, apart from the tram shelter and the Post Office,
were decorated with bunting.
There was to be a separate gala for discharged soldiers on 23
August, with the date changed from July because initially wives
and girlfriends were not invited.
In 1917 William Clay, the proprietor of the Old English,
lent a room to a large number of discharged and disabled soldiers
who formed an association to protect their interests regarding
pensions and other matters. Mr. W. E. Williams presided. At the
outbreak of War in 1914 it had been proclaimed that disabled and
discharged soldiers would not want for anything, but there had
subsequently been a case in Matlock where a discharged soldier's
pension had been reduced and the men were, quite naturally, concerned.
Henry (Harry) Clay, William Clay's brother, was the Secretary of
the Old Comrades' Association and spoke at the meeting. The association
had 6,000 members in Derbyshire and Harry was concerned that if
they formed something else they would have less power, especially
in ensuring that future Parliamentary candidates for the Division
took note of their interests. The Derby and District Labour Party
were also proposing to form a branch of the Discharged Soldiers'
and Sailors' Association in Matlock although there was not a branch
in Derby as there were already two rival associations there. The
Matlock and District men decided to form an association on their
own account, with a view to affiliating themselves to a recognised
association at a later stage. A temporary committee was formed,
with Mr. Williams as Chairman; G. Hudson, secretary; G. Kirkland,
treasurer; W. Gregory of Cromford, Mr. Halliwell of South Darley,
Mr. W. Beard of Matlock, Mr. A. Lea of Whatstandwell, Mr. Fern
of Bonsall and Mr. J. Smith of Tansley were all appointed to the
Dale Road was relatively quiet when the above photo was taken.
An open topped car was driving down the centre of the road, though
it was almost certainly stationary to allow the photographer to
take his picture. Further back down Dale Road is another
form of transport - a horse drawn cart. The Old English and the
Oriental Cafe next door were open for business but William Clay
had departed following the death of his eldest son (the web mistresses
the Old English was then run by Mrs. Jenny Walters.
Part of Frisby's sign can be seen on the side wall, over the top
of Coronation Buildings, but there were only a handful of people
out and about. It must have been summer as several shops had sun
awnings shading the windows.
Riber & Starkholmes Newspaper Cuttings. There are several
short reports for 1919.
 "Derbyshire Courier",
12 July 1919.
 "Belper News", 25 July 1919.
 "Derbyshire Courier",
26 July 1919 and "Derbyshire Courier", 23 August
 "Belper News", 10 August
1917. Soldiers Interests. Protection Society formed at Matlock.
on Matlock's War Memorial : WW1, Surnames A - J. John Clay is
also listed on Matlock
 "Belper News", 28 November