An report in a Manchester newspaper
in 1909 reveals some of the Council's plans for developing the Hall
Leys. "Matlock Urban Council having bought the Hall Leys land
by the Broad Walk for nearly £4,000, now propose to lay it out as
pleasure resort. There are two schemes before the Council, and the
provision having been suggested of a band kiosk, a football and cricket
ground, a bowling green, tennis courts, a boat landing for the resuscitation
of boating on the Derwent, a pierrot stage, and a pavilion at the
Knowlston Gardens end of the estate. ...".
Some of the ideas were never carried out but the band stand and pavilion,
shown here, were two of the projects that were successful and remain
in the park today.
There seems to have been a slight delay in building
the pavilion, which might explain the photograph's caption.
In 1912 the Derby daily paper reported that "the Haw Leys
pleasure grounds, which were only opened to the public at Whitsuntide,
had proved a great success financially, the receipts for games
of various kinds having exceeded expectations".
The flower border in the photograph is newly dug and contains no
plants, an indication that the park's grounds had only recently
be laid out. Mature trees and shrubs surround the bandstand area
A small crowd were listening to a Scottish band and the picture
dates from very early in the 20th century, probably about 1911-12.
The Lion Foundry of Kirkintilloch made the bandstand for the town
and it is still used for band concerts. Matlock's Brass Band was
founded in the mid nineteenth century,
although the band stand was not to be erected for a further fifty
years or so afterwards.
Football was played on the Hall Leys, though the ground the club
used was a little further down, where the tram shelter stands today.
The football club was to move a little later on to the area behind
the pavilion; the Causeway Lane ground would have been used by
Matlock's Cricket Club when this photograph was taken.
links are to transcripts and information elsewhere on this web
Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser", 6 September
 "Derby Daily
Telegraph", 9 August 1910.
 "Derby Daily
 See About
Matlock (Hall Leys section), where there
is a recent photograph and more information.
 The band marked its 150th anniversary
in 2010. There is some
onsite information about the band
1916 Directory provides the first reference to both the Athletic
Club and the Football Club sharing the Causeway Lane ground with
the Cricket Club. In their 1912 Directory only the Cricket Club
is shown at the venue.