Images Index> Matlock, 20th and 21stC Images> This page
Matlock: The Bandstand, Hall Leys Pleasure Grounds, 1950s
Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
 
The Bandstand, with screens
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock
General Info
About Matlock
Find a Name
Also see:

Early 20th century



Carnival 1938



Coronation 1937



The octagonal bandstand that stands at the centre of the Hall Leys Park was made for the town by Lion Foundry, Kirkintilloch"[1]. It is a "birdcage' style of bandstand built on a stone platform. The large cupola roof is supported by eight slender columns and both the balustrade and finial are made of wrought iron.

In the 1950s the bandstand underwent a transformation as screens were put up, presumably to protect bands performing in bad weather although it did not do much for the acoustics. However, the screens have now been removed although the hooks they were suspended from are still in place and the bandstand looks once more like it originally did (see the recent photograph below).

There is a replica of, or the prototype for, Matlock's bandstand in Kirkintilloch's Peel Park; the bandstand there was listed in 1979.


Recent photograph
Also see About Matlock (Hall Leys section) for a larger photo and more information


"Hall Leys Pleasure Grounds, Matlock", published by F. Frith & Co. Ltd., Reigate (Frith MTK 25). Not posted.
Postcard and photograph in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews Intended for personal use only

References:

[1] The maker's plate is on the Bandstand.