Charles College's card, shown above, was probably
taken not too long before the 1909 postal date as the College family
were not in Matlock in 1901.
The picture is another that was taken from above the Holt Quarry
on Dale Road but is of a slightly earlier date than the previous
image. The trees bordering the river, for example, are a little
less mature and the path at the foot of Pic Tor looks as if it has
just been laid down.
As this is an autumnal shot, with less leaves on the trees, more
of the cycle track is visible. Behind the track is the grassy area
of the tennis courts. The long reddish-brown line above the tennis
courts is the walkway on the Hall Leys, fairly newly laid when
this picture was taken. Centre left are the Harrison Almshouses and
the buildings of Knowlston Place.
Before the cycle track was laid down, cycling events in Matlock
had been held on the cricket field (in 1893, for example). Sports
and inter club races were held at Matlock Cycle Club's new track
in 1897; they became
an annual event. It was announced at their AGM in 1899 that they
had extended the track, making it a first class one.