This picture of the signal box, which dates from 1969, is
very dramatic. This was the post Beeching era and the axe
had already fallen on the line extending northwards from Matlock
to Manchester. The signalman is just about discernable behind
the glass windows of his box; the steps he would have to climb
up and down each day (on the left) were extremely steep. Presumably
he owned the parked car with the registration plate of KAT 720.
The track was possibly being taken up as he worked.
Immediately behind the signal box is the goods shed shown in
the first of the series of photographs below. As you can see, the
lines passed either side of the signal box as well as a short track
leading into the shed. The shed doors are also featured in the
pictures below (photos 2 and 3). These photos are included to show
some of the more recent history as the Cawdor Quarry and Station
areas were developed.
1. Goods shed, 2004, showing years of neglect.
2 and 3. The images above and below are of the
building's interior in 2004.
The roof had gone and the floor boards were rotten.
4. The walk from Matlock station to what was then Peak Rail's Matlock
Riverside station was originally about 500 yards.
It was a long trek ... some commented that it needed another train
to get there!!
5. Approaching the platform at Matlock
Riverside in 2004.
The web mistress has no idea what the stone structure on the right
was. Any ideas would be welcomed.
6. The platform in 2004.
Fortunately, the second
platform at Matlock station has been refurbished, according to Peak
Rail's website (the link will open in a new tab or window),
and Matlock Riverside has gone.
7 and 8. Just to complete the picture for the early days of Peak
Rail's presence in Matlock.
These signs seemed a trifle optimistic for those on foot in 2004.
It is amazing how far Peak Rail have come since then.
Those with railway ancestors might like to see:
Matlock & Matlock
Bath Lists: The Twentieth Century: Matlock Station Staff, 1911 - 1966, A -
Matlock & Matlock
Bath Lists: The Twentieth Century: Matlock Station Staff,
1911 - 1966, K - Y