Shortly before the Jubilee Bridge was erected to link the Lovers'
Walks with Matlock Bath, the local paper reported how events were
progressing: "The grounds are being rapidly laid out on the
north side of the river Derwent at Matlock Bath, and the newly planted
lawns inside the rolled walks already are covered with grass, and
plots are being ornamented. A deputation was invited to examine the
bridge which is to connect the town portion to a part of the estate
of the High Sheriff, which has been leased to the Jubilee promoters.
On Thursday several members of the committee drove to the Butterley
Iron Works, where the bridge was erected prior to it being conveyed
to Matlock Bath. The deputation were highly satisfied with the design
and the workmanship of the bridge. It will be erected next week".
Ten years after Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, which was the
reason the bridge was built, the country was celebrating again
- her Diamond Jubilee. Matlock Bath once again planned to
erect a footbridge, this time it was to link the lower part
of Lovers' Walks with the southern part of Matlock Bath. It was
not to be. Fortunately, the idea didn't totally disappear without
trace as in 1969 a beautiful new footbridge was built to
link the Derwent Gardens and the Lovers' Walks. It just took over
seventy more years.
The two landing stages next to the river were
for the hire of the pleasure boats. There were several along Matlock
Bath's riverbank. The one closest to the cameraman on the right
of the photograph was later used for dignitaries and their families
attending the Venetian Fete, and provided a wonderful view of the
boats, the bandstand concert and the fireworks. Once or twice,
after heavy rain caused the water level to rise, they were nearly
sitting in the river.
This photograph dates from before 1906 so
predates those on the
Jubilee Bridge and Derwent, Matlock Bath page.