A photograph of part of the Promenade Gardens in Matlock Bath,
on the opposite side of the road from the old Fountain Baths
(out of the shot). The image probably dates from the 1930s.
Fountain Villas can be seen in the background and the buildings
stretch onwards to North Parade and the former Derwent Terrace
Wesleyan Methodist church.
The Promenade's original outer railings had been replaced
in the winter of 1905-06.
By the time the photograph for this postcard was taken the
riverbank was also protected by metal railings but earlier
images of the Promenade show no railings on the riverside
and this was the case for many years.
In 1901 a Derbyshire Times journalist commented on the main
focus of this picture, the very large piece of tufa in the
middle of the pool. "Many visitors will have noticed
what from outside appearances is huge bed of moss round the
fountain on the Promenade, Matlock Bath. Certainly this commenced
as moss, and has gradually grown to the huge proportions
now on view, but it an astonishing fact that as the moss
grows and decays if forms the tufa for which Matlock Bath
is so noted and is really brought about by the action of
the lime in the water. It is a curiosity worthy of examination".
This water feature disappeared in 1967 when the A6 road,
shown behind the railings in the left, was widened and the
riverbank was strengthened.