Matlock Bath's Pavilion has almost cathedral like proportions,
built on a grand scale and designed to impress. It is difficult
to be certain of a date for this postcard, though the earliest
date would be 1910 and the latest 1929, with the date provided
in the title as the most probable.
The road may be completely traffic free and only
a handful of pedestrians were out and about, but a small
group were nevertheless clustered around the Fish Pond.
What appears to be an open topped car is parked outside
the Pavilion, but is too small to see the number plate.
The large building on the left, originally Boden's
burned down in January 1929. This had become a glove
factory which began trading in the Pavilion during the First
World War as a way of providing more employment locally.
It moved into the Restaurant premises after that business
had closed. The gloves were made at the back of the premises
and the shop was in the front, next to the road. Gloves
were undoubtedly on display in the shop's windows.
In the Derwent Gardens, just past the Pavilion and below
road level, the end building of the Switchback
Railway can be seen. The small spar shop shown
on another postcard was beside the roadside, just
past the Pavilion, though it it almost completely hidden