Claremont is a stone built Victorian mansion on Matlock's Cavendish
Road and was built for Charles Rowland and his wife opposite
the grounds to Rockside. Mr. Rowland had built Rockside Hydro
in 1860 and became a man of some standing in Matlock.
Charles Rowland was born in Burton upon Trent in Staffordshire,
the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Rowland, and he was baptised there
on 28 November 1813. He lived at Burton Upon Trent until he was
about 49 years of age and was a Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer,
working from premises on the High Street.
In 1861 he and his wife Sarah were living at Shobnall, Burton Upon
Trent and Charles described himself in the census as a "Retired
Upholster"; their property was made up of four buildings.
The couple moved to Matlock shortly afterwards. A newspaper
article from 1880, when Mr. and Miss Atkins took Rockside over,
said that the Rowlands had formerly run Graffern House Hydropathic
Establishment, near Derby.
Rockside was well established by 1871 and Charles was living at
the establishment, with his occupation given as a Professor of
Hydropathy and Land Owner.
Sarah, who was born at Coton in the Elms, was living separately
slightly down the hill as she was managing Matlock House Establishment
which they had leased; she, too, stated that she was a Professor
of Hydropathy and Land Owner.
Just like the other Matlock hydropathists, the Rowlands advertised
in several Trades Directories and Tourist Guides.
Their first advertisement seems to have appeared in 1862.
By 1876 Charles Rowland was only advertising his hydropathic establishment
at Matlock House as
James Burton had taken over at Rockside, although the Rowlands
maintained a keen interest in hydropathy. Rockside remained in
the family as James Burton married Sarah's niece, Emily Elizabeth
Atkins, in 1873 but Emily unfortunately died in 1875. William
Atkins and his sister followed on at Rockside and
in 1881 it was described as a hydropathic establishment of the
"Rock Side, with its long corridors, enclosed verandah
or promenade, and spacious dining hall, is one of the best and
comfortably arranged establishments of its kind to be found anywhere".
Charles and Sarah had moved into Claremont, a property shown to
have 12 rooms in 1911, some time before 1881 and
it remained their home until they died. Sarah died in February
1901 and Charles died on 9th March 1902.
Both are buried in the churchyard of St. Giles Church and Charles
Rowland's second wife is in the same grave.
Charles, at the sprightly age of 88, married Eliza Buxton at All
Saints' in September 1901.
Eliza had worked for the Rowland's as their housekeeper for over
10 years. She was still living at Claremont in 1908 and
passed away on 27 August 1914.
Hydropathy wasn't Charles Rowland's only business interest in
Matlock as he clearly invested in the cable tramway that connected
Crown Square with Smedley Street and Rutland Street. He became
one of the director's of the limited company that was formed.
Interestingly, one of the executors of Charles Rowland's will
was Job Smith, one of his fellow directors. After he had died,
some of his estate was advertised for sale by Else and Sons, the
auctioneers. The lots on offer "were dwelling houses and shops
in Bank Road, villa residences and cottages in Oak Road and market
gardens with outbuildings at Pope Car.
Claremont was bought by of the Sheffield Works Societies' Convalescent
Association in 1918 and
was a home solely for women.
The Association launched an appeal for £10,000 to finance their
venture and hoped to treat 600 patients each year.
In 1928 the matron was Miss M. H. Cotter.
The male equivalent was