The collection you click on above consists of twelve views, two pages
of adverts and the front cover of the album's first edition. There's
a superb picture of Crown Square showing both the tram about to depart
and the shops that used to be on the edge of what is now the Hall Leys,
but the photo was taken before the tram shelter was erected in the
middle of the Square. There are also two pictures of Matlock Bank,
both showing green fields where houses now are.
The images are of :
Matlock Bank (looking towards Smedley's);
Matlock Bank (looking towards Steep Turnpike and Dalefield/Lilybank);
Crown Square, Matlock Bridge;
Matlock Bath (North Parade from the Heights of Jacob);
Matlock Bath, South Parade;
Haddon Hall, East Front;
Haddon Hall, Ballroom;
Darley Dale Church and Yew Tree (note the gentleman posing by the
The advertisers were:
Inside the front cover:
W. N. Statham, Photographer, The Studio, Matlock Bridge;
H. Barnwell, Watchmaker, Jeweller, Matlock Bridge;
Hartley, Saddler, Fishing Tackle ..., Crown Square Matlock Bridge;
J. W. Potter, Handwrought Hosiery, Matlock Bridge and Buxton;
Inside the back cover:
Henry Marsden, General Draper, Matlock Bridge;
Phillips Tobaccos, Tram Terminus, Crown Square;
T. Asbury, Chemist, Matlock Bath and Matlock Bridge;
H. Barnard, Post Office, Matlock Bank;
W. Pride, Fish Game and Poultry ..., Crown Square and Smedley Street.
The album was printed by Percy
Lund, Humphries & Co. Ltd. of Bradford.
Whilst the album isn't dated, the advertisements help place
the publication to between 1901 and 1911. Autochrome was the first
method of colour photography using coloured starch pellets as a filter
and, according to the V&A, the process was patented in 1904,
although was discussed in articles about photography from the end of
the nineteenth century. Whilst some of the photographs date from
before 1900 the publication must, therefore, date from between 1904
and 1911. There was more than one edition of the album, as the cover
shown at the top of the page is a different colour from the cover shown
when you click
the link to the images. The cover isn't the only difference between
the two editions; a photograph of Matlock Dale replaced the view of
Pig Tor and one of Matlock Bridge replaced the one of Crown Square.
The advertisements were in a different order in the later edition
and an additional advertisement was squeezed in for William Furniss
at Cherry Holt.
Below are the two replacement photos and the additional advertisement.
There are several small details of interest about this picture of
Matlock's ancient bridge.
A sign close to the entrance to Station Approach advertises
W. E. Constable & Co.
Wooden boards are stacked on the far side of the river
bank, undoubtedly in preparation for the bridge being widened or
as part of that work.
There is also a workman's hut and at least two other signs, possibly
of the contractors.
Several adults were peering over the edge of the bridge, so are probably
looking either at the preparatory work or the early stages of the
Advertisement for William Furniss.
links lead to more on site information):
 Percy Lund, Humphries & Co. Ltd.
were printers and publishers of 71 - 75 Priestman Street, Bradford
Office Bradford Directory", 1912). The business began
in either 1887 or 1895 by Percy Lund, described in the 1901 Census
as a Printer Publisher & Editor of Athol Road, and Edward
Walter Humphries of Manningham. By 1911 Lund was living at
57 Southfield Square and was "Retired". The company the two men founded
was eventually wound up in 1994 ("London Gazette").
 Thomas Asbury had lived in Matlock
Bath since 1891 (see his census
entry for that year). He was still in
at the time of the 1901 census but
by 1911 he had moved away and was living in Netherfield, Nottinghamshire.
This helps prove a time frame for the two publications.
 See V&A
web site (external link, so will open in a new window)
 See the magazine article "The
End of a Long and Winding Road".