A pocket sized booklet of images, folded in concertina fashion,
published by the Sheffield Telegraph at the end of the
nineteenth century sometime between 1891 and 1898.
The views were from a series of pictures taken by Wilson
and Frith (see advertisement below); curiously, the photos
have been redrawn to make plates. Only the first three
images, out of a total of sixteen, were actually of the
Matlocks yet all the advertisers, apart from one advertising
a similar album of Llandudno, were all from Matlock or
Matlock Bath and their names were to be be found in local
Matlock Bath and Riber Castle
The first picture is of Matlock Bath, and shows the village
a few years after the Jubilee Bridge was constructed across
the river. The triangular area bordered by a pathway beside
the Derwent is the newly laid out Promenade. We can see North
Parade and Fountain Villas, and both the Clarence and Clarence
Terrace had been built. The skating rink can be seen at the
far side of Clarence Terrace. Towards the right is Guilderoy
and Masson Cottage with Ashfield (The Villa) just below.
The Round House, at the top of Holme Road, is peeping over
the top of the large tree (bottom, centre).
Matlock Bridge and Bank
The second image shows us Dale Road, the commercial centre
of Matlock Bridge. The shops opposite what used to be The
Old English Hotel had yet to be built. Look carefully at
the rear of the Old English; you can see the damage
caused by the fire in November 1884.
The premises with the chimney at the far
end of Dale Road and close to the Bridge was the Rag Mill,
which must have been built between 1876 and 1884, and was
later was occupied by Poyser's Patents.
Although Matlock Bank was largely undeveloped at this time
there were some properties on Bank Road and the line of Smedley
Street can be seen across the hillside, near the hydro of
the same name. The two houses on Lime Grove Walk indicate
that the original picture dates from about 1890. The replacement
for the old Crown Hotel, in the middle of the image, had
only been built a few years before. The Hall Leys was not
much more than a field, but the football stand can be seen
on the side closest to the river; this was where Matlock
Town FC played their matches for a long time.
High Tor, Matlock
The last of the Matlock and District images is of High Tor,
the River Derwent and Artists' Corner. Tor Cottage/the
High Tor Guest House or Hotel almost hidden amongst the trees.
Opposite Tor Cottage's former coach house was the blacksmiths.
Inside the back cover:
Advertisements for Hartley and Phillips of Crown Square and
Evans of Dale Road
On the back:
Advertisements for Mary Whittaker's Long Tor Cavern
for Highland Whisky available from Arthur William Upton at
the County and Station Hotel
Both Matlock Bath
Other images in the album, not included here:
Chatsworth from Derwent
Chatsworth and Bridge from the West
Haddon Hall, East Front
Haddon Hall, Dorothy Vernon's Stairway
Bakewell & Church
Vernon Chapel, Bakewell Church
Dovedale, looking up
Dovedale, Lion's Face