Two more pictures of Matlock, looking down the hill from the top
of Bank Road and towards High Tor and Masson, taken by the Smedley
Street photographer Charles Colledge.
The top image, which shows a tramcar
on its way down Bank Road, would have been taken from a first floor
of Colledge's shop opposite the Gate Inn on the corner of Smedley
Street and Rutland Street. The bottom picture was probably taken
from a window on the second floor in the same building.
Neither postcard was used, so it is difficult to provide a date,
but they could have been taken between 1910 and 1920. They were
definitely taken before 1927 when the tramway closed. One
clue is shown on the building on the left (top image), which is
on the corner of Smedley Street and Bank Road. On the shop sign
immediately above the shop window facing hydro (not the large board,
which is unreadable) is the single word "Underclothing".
This was a drapery run by Henry Stocker and his wife Annie.
Mr. Stocker, who also worked as a bathman, had married Anne Elizabeth
Slater at the Primitive Methodist Chapel on Matlock Bank, next
door to their shop, in 1878.
There is another sign on the building, just below the window on
the corner; it reads "Congregational Church" but it is
hard to tell if there is an arrow on it.