The War Memorial on Matlock Bath promenade has been the subject
of a large number of postcards over the years. The life size
figures of the soldier and sailor on the top were carved
from Italian Carrara marble and when it was unveiled in
1921 it was described as being one of the most beautiful
memorials in the county.
The names of twenty two men who died in the First World War
are recorded below the two figures and a further ten names
were added to the east side at the end of the Second World
The top image was probably photographed in the 1930s whereas
the image below, from a Ward Lock Guide, was taken some years
earlier, possibly not long after the memorial was unveiled.
In the top picture there is a wooden rustic seat around one
of the trees. You can also see the footpath on the far side
of the river although the band stand or band kiosk is hard
to spot. It is there, of course, to the right of the memorial
partly hidden by the first tree along. At the foot of both
memorials is a wreath to commemorate the war dead.
These days, following the road widening in the late 1960s,
the boundary with the A6 is much closer to the Memorial and
most of the Promenade has gone.
There is more information elsewhere on this site about the
Matlock Bath's Memorial
Matlock Bath's War Memorial
Bath: Remembrance Day, about 1930
Parade, Matlock Bath, about 1960, which has a more
recent coloured picture and is a similar view (see the
second image on the page)