Guide to Matlock ... , about 1869*
|Eighteenth and nineteenth century
tour guides about Matlock Bath and Matlock
Walker's Marble Museum
*'Bemroses' Guide to Matlock, Bakewell, Chatsworth, Haddon Hall,
&c' by John Hicklin, Third Edition, pub Bemrose and Sons,
London (no date, but about 1869).
Reproduced here with the very kind permission and help of Sonia Addis
Smith, whose book this is from.
OCRed and images scanned by Ann Andrews, 2001 - 2004.
Some additional notes:
Thomas Walker took over his Royal Museum from Mr. Vallance, as
his advertisements in trade directories and guides like the one
above always stated. A little earlier than this, in 1864, he advertised
as spar & marble museum & manufacturer as well as the proprietor
of boats & Lovers' Walks. He'd also advertised his Museum
in both Kelly's 1855 Directory and Whites 1857 Directory. Mr.
Walker was born at Wirksworth.
Bath: The Royal Museum (Smith's), South Parade. This shows the
building where Mr. Walker's Museum was. It afterwards became Smith's
in Hall's "Days in Derbyshire" (1863)
Hand Book to Matlock Bath & Neighbourhood (mentioned)
The following may also be of interest
Photographs, Postcards, Engravings and Etchings
Matlock Bath: The Royal Museum (Smith's),