The Quarries, Dale Road
|Matlock : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards,
Engravings & Etchings
This view of the quarries on Dale Road, which was perhaps a water
colour sketch, is slightly hard to date. Close to the bottom
of St. John's Road are the cottages Sir Edward Guy Dawber designed
in 1899 but there seem to be no vehicles on Dale Road so it
is likely the card was published in the very early part of the
twentieth century. The railway bridge is almost a grey smudge
where it crosses the river. The pedestrian "iron bridge
close to a quarry"
is rather more visible. The first building along the road from
the railway bridge is, of course, the Boat House hotel. "Near
to this bridge is an old-fashioned inn, the Boat House,
which dated its fall as a popular hostelry from the the days
when the hydros began to rise".
In the early part of the twentieth century Greatorex & Son
were limestone merchants, tar paving manufacturers & limestone
quarry owners at the Harvey Dale Quarries on Dale Road.
This is the quarry shown on the postcard. The webmistress's father,
Frank Clay, used to refer to Greatorex's tar boiling house as 'the
coffee pot'! It must have been the locals' nickname. 'The coffee
pot' was the long building facing the road on the south side of
the quarry entrance, with the chimney rising from it's back wall.
Limestone quarrying was, of course, a major industry in the Matlocks.
Another interesting feature is the huge greenhouse/conservatory
at the bottom of the picture on the side of what was called Ferry
Cottage in the 1851 census
and from where Mrs. Elizabeth (Betty) Brinsley carried on her late
husband's carrying business. "The first house we come to on
passing the Boat House (a small Inn at the entrance) is Mrs. Brinsley's,
the Matlock carrier alternately to Sheffield and Derby, and who
has charge of the ferry leading to Matlock village close by".
Betty Chadwin born at Calverton NTT
and she married John Brinsley at St. Giles' in 1818;
the couple had five children. The parish register initially provides
addresses of Holt Lane and the Boathouse, with John's occupation
as publican, before being eventually described as living in Harvey
Dale and John's occupation that of stage carrier. He advertised
in early trade directories.
John was only 35 when he died in 1829,
and Betty continued running the business for approximately a further
20 years. She died at
Walworth in 1857 and
was buried at St. Giles, alongside her husband and son (another
John), on 5th December 1857.
In this picture you can just about make out the great doors on the
front of her house; the original doors have recently been replaced.
The "Renshaw" Series, CICL postcard (Printed in Liverpool).
not posted, half-penny stamp
This card was probably originally part of a booklet of cards as there
are perforations down one side.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann
Andrews Intended for personal use only
With thanks to Colin Goodwyn for his additional suggestions and help
links go to more on site information):
 Ward Lock & Co's "Matlock, Dovedale,
Bakewell and South Derbyshire", Illustrated Guide Books of
England and Wales (1932-3), p.43
 "Kelly's Directory
1932. Colin Goodwyn has most kindly checked the Annual Returns of
Quarries under the --- Act for 1925 and 1931. The 1925 Return shows
Job Greatorex & Son of Harvey Dale Quarries were operating Harvey
Dale and also Long Tor
quarries (Matlock Bath). In 1931, Job Greatorex & Son
were also operating Dale Road (5 people) and Holt Quarry (9 people).
So like Cawdor joined Station quarry, Harvey Dale joined Holt.
Quarrying in the Matlocks
 Betty Brinsley appears in both the
1841 census and the 1851 census of
W. (1840) "The Gem of the Peak" London; Longman & Co.,
Paternoster Row MDCCCXL. See the transcript on this website
 Parish Registers
 Pigot and
Co.'s National Commercial Directory, for 1828-9 (as Brunsley).
Also see Glover's Directory, 1827-8-9
 Nineteenth century
trade directory transcripts Betty Brinsley advertised in all the
directories between 1831 and 1852. In 1852 she was also given as running
a lodging house
 Betty's burial is listed under Burials,