This postcard of Matlock Town, designated Old Matlock by the artist,
is from a painting by Henry Hadfield
Cubley. It is difficult to
provide an exact date; whilst it is likely to have been painted
in the first decade of the 20th century it is possible that Cubley
painted this scene in the last part of the nineteenth century.
The webmistress believes that he included his wife and two little
girls to add something extra to the picture.
Here is the area near
St. Giles' parish church, which is off picture on the right,
at the bend in Church Street. Behind the lamp is the entrance
to the late eighteenth century Rectory. The Wheatsheaf (Wheatsheaf
Farm) is the very old building behind the ancient tree. According
to Pevsner's architectural guide, it dates from 1681 and has "a
symmetrical front with windows of mullion-and-transome-crosses".
Pevsner also commented that "no one can feel the nearness of
modern Matlock here".
This is still true today, despite the increased use of the motor
Church Street was part of the old road connecting Matlock and
Cromford and there were several inns along the route. The sign
belongs to the old King's Head.
There used to be a biography of the artist on this page.
This has moved to the Biographies
A selection of Cubley's paintings of Matlock & Matlock Bath that
are on this web site: