Holy Trinity Church, photographed from the field next to Clifton
Road. The Royal Hotel was close by and the back of the hotel
can also be seen.
A year before this card was posted a Lieut.-Col. Newnham-Davis
had published an article in the Pall Mall
Gazette; he had been
visiting Matlock Bath on a beautiful summer day and was full of
compliments about the village and its scenery. Describing the view
from where he was sitting, high up on a terrace
overlooking Matlock Bath, he wrote that: "behind
me are the three grey gables of the Royal Hotel : to the right,
almost blotted out from view by the splendour of a great copper
beech, is the amber coloured spire of the church".
The card's sender was also enjoying himself, "spending a
delightful holiday here : the scenery is grand" although
he made no specific comment about the church.
The incumbent was the Reverend Charles Baker who, in 1912,
was to preach a Sunday evening sermon denouncing some of the villagers
for greed, claiming they had set up gods of their own. One of these
"gods" was the making of money, honestly and morally
if they could, but, above all, making it. "They" spent
their time catering for the lowest instincts of the human mind;
they catered for Sunday outings, and they were guilty of a great
One can only presume that the money makers who so offended their
parson were not in the congregation.
Trinity Church, Matlock Bath - Memorial Inscriptions in the Church
Trinity Church, Matlock Bath - Memorial Inscriptions in the Churchyard
the Churchyard Inscriptions
Bath Burials, 1845 - 1866
Bath Holy Trinity Banns, from 1846
links lead to more on site information):
 Reported in the "Manchester
Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser", 27 July 1906
and also in the "Guide to Matlock and Matlock
Bath" (ca. 1907) Printed and published by Geo. Hodgkinson,
Matlock Printing Works.
 Charles Baker had been Matlock Bath's
vicar since 1883. See: the 1891 census | the
1901 census | his MI | Kelly's
1908 Directory. His name is also on one
of two wooden boards in the church.
Daily Telegraph", 9 Dec 1912