The stone building on Brunswood Road was built in 1847 as the
Vicarage for the incumbent of Holy Trinity Church, Matlock
Bath. Reverend Baker and his family were the first occupants.
The last vicar to live there was Reverend Alfred Phibbs who
accepted the living in 1934, moving from Bamford-cum-Burstall.
The vicarage moved to another, slightly smaller, property
on Brunswood Road but eventually a modern vicarage was
built close the church within the grounds of what had been
the Royal Hotel.
There are a number of blocked up windows around the property.
One can be seen on the first floor to the right of the main
door and there are others on the side of the building. The
web mistress always understood they were blocked up to reduce
the number of windows in the property - so there would be
less "Window Tax" to pay.
The former vicarage became a Country Club and the
single storey extension on the right hand end was
built as the Club's dining room. The web mistress
remembers the grounds being decked out with bunting and stalls
about 1953 for a summer fete involving the schoolchildren
from Matlock Bath School who performed a series of Country
Dances. In the mid 1950s it was taken over by the Youth
Hostel association and catered for school parties,
ramblers and walkers but then became a Probationary Service
office. This postcard dates from its time as a youth hostel.
Bath & Scarthin Newspaper Cuttings, 1883 has a short
article about the former Vicarage, when it was a less than
sanitary home for the Vicar.
and Matlock Bath: Public Notices and Announcements, 1874 has details of an auction when
Rev. Pelly left the property.