Fernie Bank on North Parade is a detached mid-Victorian house built,
unusually for a property on the Parade, of brick with stone dressings.
It stands above road level, with the Fountain Baths hidden behind
the trees on the left and one of the houses that form the row of
Fountain Villas on the right. Unfortunately, the colouring in the
picture is not true to life as it looks as if Fernie Bank was
built in grey stone! Amongst the former residents were the bookseller
and stationer William Elliott Howe and his wife Mary Anne (nee
After Mrs. Howe died her trustee, Mr. D. Sibbald, sold all her
household effects, furniture, a large and valuable library, china,
rare prints, collections of minerals, curios and birds' eggs,
plus shop fittings.
On the hillside above Fernie Bank is part of Waterloo Road, showing
the houses close the the very sharp bend in the road. Oban, originally
just one storey high and with a steeply sloping roof as shown here,
is the house on the bend; it was the home of William Lennox for
about twenty years.
Behind it is Rose Bank, with its Gothic style windows, and Belgrano
which has a large curved bay window on the ground floor. Where
the line of washing is blowing in the breeze, originally the garden
for Belgrano, has now been built on. A brownish building is behind
the houses, a little further up the road from Rose Bank. This was
Swiss Cottage and originally had a balcony. Above this, at the
top of this picture, is the castellated Lower Towers and to its
right is the (octagonal) Round House. The large house to the right
and slightly above the washing line is Holme Bank.
The picture dates from between 1901 and 1905.
"General View, Matlock [Bath]". City and Wollaton series,
Printed in Britain. Posted 5 Sep 1905 at Matlock Bath. The sender
was staying with Mrs Turner, Derwent View, Matlock Bath.
Postcard in the collection of, provided by and © Ann Andrews.
Researched, written by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal
links go to on site transcripts):
 The Howes were first listed at Fernie
Bank in J. G. Harrod and Co.'s Postal and Commercial Directory
of 1870 and as a bookseller, stationer, music seller and newsagent
on Museum Parade. William Elliott Howe was first shown in Matlock
Bath in the 1861 census.He
was shown living with his wife and family in Matlock Bath in the
1871 census | the 1881 census.
He advertised in Kelly's Directory
1876 | Kelly's Directory 1881 | Kelly's Directory 1887 | Kelly's
Directory 1891 (2 adverts) although he had died in 1890.
Mrs. Howe remained at Fernie Bank. She is in the
1891 census | the 1901
census | Kelly's Directory
1895 | Kelly's Directory
1899. There is also an MI
in Holy Trinity Church Yard
Times and Chesterfield Herald", 20 November 1901.
Sale notice. The sale was held on 20 and 21 November.
 There is more about William Lennox
on Heights of Abraham,
Wooded Slopes. Also read the footnote.