Above is an enlargement of part of a postcard called "Wooded
Slopes, Matlock Bath". It shows Waterloo Road zigzagging
up the hillside to the Round House, which is not round, and
the junction with Holme Road, Masson Road and Upperwood Road.
The large dwelling on the left is Wellington House and behind
it is a small cottage that belonged to Belle Vue House. At
the end of the Wellington House row is Oban, the three storey
house with the wooden canopy over the door and a curved end.
This was initially one storey high. It became the home of
a local busnessman, William Lennox, after he had retired
and he named the property Oban.
road then bends around and rises quite steeply. On the far
side of the bend, half hidden by the tree, is Belgrano. Above
the row, actually around the sharp bend and up the road a
bit from Belgrano, is a property that is half hidden from
view. This was Swiss Cottage, so named because it resembled
a Swiss chalet. And above Belgrano is the octagonal, single
storey, Round House.
The castellated Gothic building is the Lower Tower. It had
been the home of Colonel Edward Payne in the
1820s and at
the time it was known as The Tower; the
Upper Tower on the Heights of Abraham had not yet been built.
At the beginning of the 1840s Mrs. William Cumming and
her sister Miss Hall used the property as an "Establishment
for the Education of Young Ladies".
Robert Chadwick and his family were living there in 1860
and the house was occupied by the Chadwicks until the early
The whole image is shown below. The Upper Tower is the building
high up on the slopes that is surrounded by woodland. Mrs.
Chadwick's brother, Samuel Sprinthall, lived at the Upper
Tower for a many years and leased the Heights of Abraham
from his sister and her family.
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on
this web site):
 William Lennox, who moved to the
district in the 1860 ("Derby Daily Telegraph",
8 Feb 1930), named Oban after his birthplace. This presumably
after the house had been rebuilt. He can be found there in
the 1911 census | Kelly's Directory 1912 | Kelly's
Directory 1916 | his
MI is at Holy Trinity. He and his wife were incorrectly
recorded as Lennon in
the 1901 census.
 "The Derby Mercury",
Wednesday, 24 January, 1827. Sale of household goods by Edward
Payne, The Tower.
Directory, 1827/8/9 also tells us he was there. Payne clearly liked Gothic
buildings as another property of his, Ivy Cottage in Matlock Dale, was also described
as castellated. Ivy Cottage was replaced by The Rocks. See his name in Nineteenth
Century - Game Duty Lists
 "The Derby Mercury", Wednesday,
7 July, 1841
 The Chadwicks, who also had a
long association with the Heights of Abraham, are recorded
in the census returns from 1861 onwards (see the
1861 census entry).
They advertised in nineteenth
century directories and twentieth