In January 1890 Mr. Charles Peters, who lived at Guilderoy
in Matlock Bath,
showed great foresight by making an extremely generous gesture
to prevent development at Artists' Corner. He paid £200 to
Messrs. Wilshire and Grundy of Derby for the purchase of eleven
lots of land along the river bank opposite High Tor that were
already in the hands of "building speculators" with the
intention of building cottages. Mr. Peters and a committee set
up for the purpose then raised subscriptions to pay for the land.
The outlay was for a
public promenade and to protect the scenery at Matlock Dale, thus
blocking up of the view from the main thoroughfare".
More land for the scheme was promised by Mr. Arkwright if a further
plot could be secured. This was a piece of land that belonged to
Mr. Wilcockson of Chesterfield that was then occupied by Henry
This photograph, which was taken from Pic Tor, shows
some of the plots of land. The railway track below is just about
discernable amongst the trees. Bottom right is the iron footbridge
over the River Derwent and on the other side of the road was Greatorex's
tar boiling house.
Next to it are the cottages designed by Sir Guy Dawber and the
Matlock / Matlock Bath boundary bisects the road almost immediately
past that point. St. John's Road forks off to the right and the
main road, on which there is a pony and trap, bends round to Artists'
Corner. Up on the hill, past Shining Cliff, are two further properties.
It is hard to identify them as they are not easy to see, but they
must be Cliff House and Masson Farm.