Images Index> Matlock Bath, 20th and 21st Century Images> This page
The Promenade, Matlock Bath, 1902
Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
The Promenade
20th & 21st C Images
Next Image
Previous Image
More Matlock Bath Pictures
18th & 19thC
"Just" Images
Matlock Bath
General Info
About Matlock Bath
Find a Name

Ward Lock Guide

More images from the Ward Lock Guide, 1903

The Royal Pavilion - the Palais Royal

Lover's Walk and the Ferry House, 1903

Mr. Buxton's Royal Museum & the Great Petrifying Well

The Ward Lock Guide for 1903 comments that "prior to 1887 the north bank of the river, in the Matlock Bath region, was a market garden, but from this humble use it was rescued by the patriotic stimulus afforded to the Jubilee of Queen Victoria. As a memorial of this national event the cottage-like fence was removed and an ornamental iron railing substituted. To give an enduring appearance to the whole, the Jubilee Bridge, an ornamental girder of iron, was thrown across the river. Green turf and flower beds, with a pretty fountain, complete what are now known as the Jubilee Gardens, and these have distinctly added to the attractions of Matlock Bath". In fact, the Promenade had begun to be developed in 1874, but was extended in 1887[1].

This photograph probably pre-dates the guide by some years as the gardens are not very mature. It was possibly taken about 1900, either at the same times as previous image or perhaps a year or two before.

See what the are looked like before the prom was developed - Matlock Bath: North Parade, late 1870's (1).


About 1900

About 1904-05

Before 1905

Before 1904

About 1902

About 1905

About 1915


Tufa fountain

War memorial

Band stand

Road widening

Image from Ward Lock & Co's "Guide to Matlock, Dovedale, Etc.", Illustrated Guide Books of England and Wales (Guide Series 1903-4), p.3
The photographs in the book were unlikely to have been taken specifically for the guide and were also not necessarily of the same date the book was published. This photograph was taken by G. W. Wilson and Co. Ltd, Aberdeen.
A postcard of this view, which had an undivided back, was posted in 1902.
In the collection of, provided by and researched by and © Ann Andrews. Intended for personal use only


[1] Bryan, Benjamin (1903) "History of Matlock - Matlock, Manor and Parish" London by Bemrose & Sons, Limited.