Drawn on Stone by J. D. Harding from a Sketch by S. Rayner.
Printed by C. Hullmandel.
Samuel Rayner's vibrant sketch of South Parade, with its
museums and Great Petrifying Well, was published as a lithograph
of Derbyshire Scenery, Part 1", a book dating
from the time when he was living in a house on Museum Parade
(South Parade). The book was published in 1830 by J. Vallance
of the Centre Museum, Matlock Bath and contained a series
of lithographs from Mr. Rayner's sketches. The sketches
were reproduced on stone by J. D. Harding, and the plates
were then printed by Hullmandel.
artist would have been standing opposite the entrance to
the Old Bath Hotel, above the Fish Pond Hotel (know as the
Old Bath Tap at the time), to draw the scene. The Upper
Towers, high up on the hillside above Matlock Bath on the
Heights of Abraham, must have only just been built.
In May 1831 John Vallance announced that he would "possess"
Mr. Rayner's beautiful works and would exhibit them in the
He displayed several drawings in his museum that had been
executed by Mr. Rayner on black marble tablets.
So who were the people involved with the lithograph?
Charles Joseph Hullmandel (1789-1850) became the
finest lithographer in Britain.
He also printed lithographs. In the 1840s he went into
partnership with Joseph Fowell Walton, who continued the
business for a time after Hullmandel's death.
James Duffield Harding (1797-1863) was a landscape
painter and lithographer who was born in Deptford who
worked closely with Hullmandel and travelled with him to
Samuel Rayner (1806-1879) was the head of a family
of artists and lived on Museum (South) Parade for some
The building with the big bay window in the middle of the
parade had been Mr. Mawe's Royal Museum and next door was
another Royal Museum, begun by Mr. Vallance in 1831;
this eventually became Smith's Royal Museum. Perhaps
emphasis in the sketch might have been given to the large
bay window and the entrances of the Museums, as they seem
to stand out on the Parade, because of Rayner's link to Matlock
Although it is not known exactly when the association between
Vallance and Rayner ended, the Rayner family didn't remain
in Matlock Bath as Samuel moved his business to 17 Friar
Gate, Derby in
the 1830s and from there they went to London.
Directory, 1827-8-9 shows
a "John" Rayner in Matlock Bath
: "The Matlock Tourist" (1843).
Paragraph 3 mentions Mr. Rayner