The Bridge family's association with Matlock began shortly before
1841 when Thomas Bridge was to be found working as a baker and
living in Matlock Town.
He was the son of Richard and Elizabeth Bridge of Edensor, where
he was christened on 8 Dec 1816.
Probate records in 1813 for John Bridge of Edensor, Richards's
father, indicate that Richard was a husbandman.
in 1841 Thomas married Harriet Spencer Bunting at St.
He died in Matlock in 1846
leaving behind his widow and three children - Andrew
Bunting Bridge, Elizabeth Bridge and Luke Bridge.
They all went to live with Harriet's father, Andrew Blackwell Bunting,
on Lime Tree Lane.
Luke, the younger of the two boys, became a stone mason. On 29
June 1871 he married Adah Helena Wilkinson, daughter of Christopher
Coates Wilkinson, at Sheffield's Cathedral Church of St. Peter & St.
Paul. Both gave their address as South Street Park.
They were living in Matlock in 1873;
Luke had probably always lived in Matlock, but his whereabouts
in both 1861 and 1871 are not known.
Between their marriage and 1881 the couple had several children
who did not survive infancy.
They spent the early years of their married life on Lime
Tree Lane but moved to Bank Road in the 1880s, where they remained
for the rest of their lives.
Luke Bridge and his wife Adah, date unknown but
Adah Bridge, nee Wilkinson
In 1884 the Derbyshire Times published a notice about an application
for a licence that was to be made by Luke Bridge, He described himself
as a shop and beerhouse keeper and was applying for an Excise licence
to sell wine at a retail shop in Matlock that he owned. Although
he didn't provide the full address the application, it was clearly
for the Bank Road premises shown in the photograph at the top of
the page. At the 1886 Brewster Sessions Luke applied for a wine off
licence, which was granted by the court.
He then advertised in local trade directories.
He had probably bought the premises from Mrs. Durandean as Else and
Sons advertised a Bank Road retail outlet that stocked both English
and foreign wines as well as spirits, beer, stout and mineral waters
Luke Bridge tried, unsuccessfully, to become a Councillor in the
local elections of May 1908. A few months later he was working
on a small building contract at Kegworth when he became ill and
passed away there on 8th August, aged 61. He was interred at St.
Giles', conveyed there by Messrs. Hand and Sons' hearses and coaches;
the funeral director was George Ballington.
They both had premises nearby, so would have been a natural choice.
Adah subsequently applied for the beer licence to be transferred
to her, and this was granted.
Unfortunately, she didn't survive her husband by many months and
died suddenly on 11 March, 1909, also aged 61. She, too, was buried
at the parish church and Hands and George Ballington provided their
services once again.
The off licence was given to their son George Luke Bridge and their
daughter Mary Brailsford (nee Bridge), but was then run by William
Brailsford, Mary's husband. He was in business on Bank Road for
but later handed the concern down to his son Billy who subsequently
passed it on to co-workers.
Twin brothers Thomas Stephen Bridge
and Andrew Bunting Bridge (the younger), who were born
in 1886 in the family home on Bank Road.
They were possibly 4 or 5 years old when this picture was taken
of them in their sailor suits.
We now turn to Thomas Stephen, one of the twin sons of Luke and
Adah, who was first employed by a blacksmith but later became
a general house painter, plumber and gas fitter. He married Sarah
Alice Fleet in Matlock on Monday 31 Jan 1910.
His bride was the daughter of Daniel Fleet, an insurance inspector
who lived on Bakewell Road at the time. The Fleets had moved to
Matlock from Chester.
The photograph on the left includes Sarah Fleet and her
sister Eva. It was taken by the Marine Studio, Bootle (now
Merseyside). Sarah was born in Kelsall, Cheshire in
The photographer has induced two of the girls to hold a couple
of parrots, although they don't appear to be overly thrilled
by the experience.
The Thomas Stephen
Bridge/Sarah Alice Fleet marriage was a first for Matlock.
Whilst marriages that involved the bride and groom being taken
to the church by motor car were not unusual in the larger towns
and cities in the U.K. by this time, theirs was the first Matlock
marriage where a car was used instead of a carriage. The bride
and her father Daniel were driven to All Saints' church for the
ceremony by Messrs. Hand & Sons and afterwards the bride and groom
were conveyed to the bride's parental home by car. It was described
by the Derbyshire Courier ; the bride was dressed in mauve
and her sister Ida wore green. Fred Bridge, Thomas's younger brother,
was best man. They later left for their honeymoon, catching the
4p.m. express as they were travelling to Kelsall.
Sarah Alice Bridge, nee Fleet
Thomas Stephen Bridge
Thomas and Sarah Bridge
From the left:
Tom, Dan, Ida and Sarah Bridge, 1915.
Possibly taken late 1914 - Sep 1915 while
Tom was on leave from Sandling Camp
It is almost certain that three of the four photos of Thomas
and Sarah, above, were taken
in Vernon Lamb's studio. The backdrop, carpet and chair appear
in other photos in
Lamb Archive. Mr. Lamb was a near neighbour and possible
friend of the family.
In 1911 Tom and Sarah were living at Laburnum Rest in Upper Hackney.
They subsequently moved to the Holly Tree at Hackney and Tom
was granted a transfer of the licence from William Holmes at
Matlock's Brewster Sessions in February 1913.
At some stage Sarah decided
that she did not want her children, Dan (b.1911) and Ida (b.1912),
growing up at an Inn.
Tom therefore went to Canada on 20 Jun 1914, departing from Liverpool
and with the objective of finding work and a new home. On the
ship's paperwork Tom declared that his wife Sarah Alice was then
residing in Bootle Liverpool, having left the Holly Tree Inn.
She had moved in with one of her sisters whilst Tom was overseas.
The First World War began whilst he
was there so he joined the Canadian 19th Battalion, CEF in Toronto,
eventually being sent to France in September 1915. He fought
in Flanders near Ypres and sustained injuries to his legs and feet;
he was sent to hospitals in both Folkestone
and Sheffield to recuperate. Following his recovery in the Sheffield
hospital Tom was assigned to the Canadian Military Police in Sandling
Camp. When he was stationed in Flanders he occasionally met former
friends from Matlock who were enlisted in the Notts and Derbys
regiments. His diary mentions Frank White, Tommy Wildgoose and
a Mr Bradshaw from the "Dimple". He also wrote that he
tried to visit the grave in Sanctuary Wood where Lew Dickinson
was buried (see the entry for Lew on Matlock's
Sarah Alice returned to Matlock when Tom was fighting in the war
and she and their children remained in the town for the war's duration;
letters back home to Sarah were simply addressed to the "Dimple",
Matlock. In 1919 Tom returned to Canada, this time taking his family
with him. They settled in Toronto, where Thomas ran a plumbing
business for 25 years. He also acqured and ran a hockey arena in
a converted aircraft hangar in the city for many years; it was
one of the few in the city. When he retired he moved to Port Sydney,
Ontario where he spent the rest of his life. He died and
was buried there in 1959.
the Vernon Lamb archives with connections to the Bridge
Images of the Fleet family
found in the Vernon Lamb archives
links are to transcripts or more information elsewhere on this
 Thomas Bridge in the
 From Family Search. His father, Richard,
had married Elizabeth Hawkins at Edensor on 19 November 1797 and
he was buried at Edensor in 1839. Thomas had siblings (christening
date, it is not known if all survived childhood): Richard, 1798;
Sarah, 1801; John, 1805; Luke, 1809; Ann, c and bu 1812 (mother's
name given as Ann at burial) ; Mary, 1813.
 Administration of the estate of John
Bridge of Pilsley in the parish of Edensor, Husbandman, was granted
to Richard Bridge on 14 Oct 1813. The Testator had died in August
 See Strays,
Surnames B for his marriage. There are images
of Wirksworth Parish Church in the Derbyshire Picture Gallery in
another section of this web site.
 See his
burial in 1846. The ages provided for the death of
Thomas vary. The PR and death information shows he was 29 whereas
the age of 39 is recorded on his headstone, which also gives his
parents names as Richard and Elizabeth.
 Andrew Bunting Bridge was christened
at St. Giles' in 1842 | Elizabeth Bridge was christened
there in 1844 | Luke was born in 1846 and was also christened
at St. Giles'.
 The family in the
1851 census, living on Lime Tree Lane. They were still there in the
1861 census, although Luke was not at home. Andrew Blackwell Bunting,
Harriet's father, had died in 1856 and was buried at St. Giles'. Probate
records indicate that he left a Will, but it is not yet found. Luke's
family were still on Lime Tree Lane in the
1871 census, but Luke was not with them.
 Marriage certificate. Adah was living at
239 Hanover Street, Sheffield (Eccleshall Bierlow) with her sister
Matilda and two brothers in the 1871 census. She was born in 1847 and
christened at St. Mary's in Tickhill on 9 May 1847.
 The parish register records the death of
a son Godolphin William and possibly two daughters, Matilda Graham
and Helena, between 1873 and 1879.
 See: the
1881 census | the
1891 census | the
 "Derbyshire Times", 16
August 1884 and "Derby Daily Telegraph",
1 September 1886.
 Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire, 1887
- Bridge, Luke, dealer in wines, spirits &c. | Kelly's
1891 Directory | Kelly's
1895 Directory | Kelly's
 "Derbyshire Times",
24 January 1883. Sale at Mrs. Durandean's of Household Furniture and
Stock in Trade. She was listed in the
 "High Peak News", 15
Aug 1908. Death of Mr. Luke Bridge.
 "Derbyshire Advertiser and
Journal", 25 September 1908. Matlock Petty Sessions. Adah
Helen Bridge asked for the transfer to herself of a beer licence
at Bank Road, Matlock which had been held by her late husband,
Luke Bridge. Granted.
 "Matlock Guardian", 20
March 1909. Death of Mrs. Luke Bridge.
 Family information.
 "High Peak News", Saturday
5 Feb 1910 and "Derbyshire Courier", 5 February 1910. Hands
cars can be seen in
the Vernon Lamb Archive.
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
13 February 1913. Matlock Brewster Sessions. Wednesday.