References and additional notes.
Coloured links are to transcripts and information elsewhere on
this web site:
 John Whewell was in Matlock in 1851.
See the 1851 census and the Religious
Census. He took up his post "on the first Sabbath in September"
(Derbyshire Courier, 25 August 1849), having "received
and accepted from the Church and Congregation assembling at the above
place worship, a cordial and unanimous invitation to become their
pastor". He had previously been at Rotherham College.
 Reverend Rowton seems to have come out
of retirement, moving to Matlock from Leamington Priors. In 1851
he was already 71 years old and a widower. He was born in Coventry
and died in 1868 in Northampton.
1857 Directory lists Rev Samuel Dial, Lumsdale. In 1861 he
living on Matlock Green. He had previously
been at Hartshill in Warwickshire. By the
1871 census he was retired, but "preaching occasionally".
He died in Chelsea, London in 1886 and his wife Rebecca (nee Brogden)
died in 1898.
Starmer was living on Matlock Bank in the the
1871 census. In 1881 he and his family
were living in Alfreton where he was the Independent Minister of
Wycliffe Chapel. From there he moved to Norwich and by 1911
he was the Assistant Secretary of the British And Foreign Bible
Society. He died at Norwich in 1917, aged 76.
Clarke, a Yorkshireman, is recorded as the Minister in Kelly's
1876 Directory. He had moved from Castleford and in 1881 he
and his family were
living on Cavendish Street. By 1891 the family were in Darley
and they were still there 10 years later. He died in 1903.
Clarkson was living on Matlock Bank at the time of the
1881 census. He later moved to Royston, Hertfordshire, where
he lived for over twenty years, and died there in 1912.
 Rev. Valentine Ward, a Scot, had moved
to Matlock from Kent. In the 1860s he became the first minister
of the newly-built Broad Oak chapel during his work at the chapel's
parent church, the Countess of Huntingdon Church in Canterbury (this
information was kindly sent by Robert Collins some years ago). He
also seems to have worked in Hythe. Rev. Ward is listed in Kelly's
He and his third wife are also listed
in the 1891 census. He married Emma Martin at the Congregational
Chapel on Chesterfield Road in 1884. He had previously married Mary
E Bullock at Newcastle on 3 Dec 1849 and, after her death, was married
in 1870 to Sarah Prentice in Kent. He died at the Manse, aged 76,
on 6 Nov 1894 and was buried at St. Giles'. In recognition of the
11 years of his pastorate a committee was appointed to remember him
by erecting a Gothic memorial tablet and building a vestry to the
church, which was one of the projects which he had in hand at the
time of his death.
 Rev. Wayman is listed as the minister
in Kelly's 1899 Directory, though he resigned in the June of that
year because of ill health ("The Sheffield & Rotherham
Independent Supplement", 8 June 1899). "The Liverpool
Mercury " of Saturday, December 9, 1899 reported that he
had died at Blackpool on the previous day. He had been a minister
there in the 1870s and 1880s before transferring first to London
and then to Matlock.The Derbyshire Congregational Union later recorded
the high esteem in which he had been held, reported in "The
Derby Mercury" of Wednesday, April 11, 1900.
 "The Derby Mercury",
Wednesday, October 31, 1900 reported his appointment, saying he would
begin his duties in the New Year. So the date of 1900 has been amended
to 1901. According to the newspaper, Rev. Foster was a young man
and had trained at Hackney College, London before going to his first
post at Exmouth. Matlock was to be his second pastorate. The "Nottinghamshire
Guardian", 27 October, 1900 also reported the appointment, adding
that "the income of the pastorate is £300, with a manse". Also see the
1901 census and Kelly's
Directory 1908, Matlock and amongst the "Officials" in
1908 (see Places of Worship).
1916 Directory gives Rev. Thomas Lister as Minister.
He is also listed amongst the town's "Officials" in
1916 (see Places of Worship).
1925 Directory provides his full name - Rev. George Herbert Russell.
He was born in Hammersmith in 1880 and pre-war lived in Ashford in
Kent. He was present at the unveiling
of Matlock's War Memorial.