Bath: Letterheads of Local Businesses, 1900-1949
|Matlock Bath : Twentieth Century Photographs, Postcards, Engravings & Etchings
A series of letterheads found on stationery used by Matlock and
Matlock Bath businesses from 1900 to the shortly after the
Second World War that range from very simple to more ornate
designs. They cover a wide range of local commercial enterprises,
from hydros and hotels, to architects, banks, builders, butchers,
chartered accountants, chemists, the Co-op, decorators, doctors,
estate agents, garages, a gas company, grocers, greengrocers,
hair preparations, insurance agents, jewellers, laundrys,
manufacturing (hosiery), masons, mills, opticians, plumbers,
poulterers, pubs, quarry owners, registrars, solicitors,
surveyors, timber merchants, undertakers, valuers and wine
merchants. In other words, everything you would expect to
find in a Derbyshire country town and village at that time.
There are estimates, invoices, letters, memos, notes, receipts
and statements, although only the letter heading is shown here.
Amongst the collection are also three unused cheques, a shopping
reminder and a returns list for bottles. The full sheet has been
provided in a few instances, but the body is blank.
The images are almost exclusively from Glynn Waite's collection.
Some names, but not all, are listed in the on site Twentieth
Century Trade Directories
Also in the series are: Matlock
A-D | Matlock
E-H | Matlock
I-M | Matlock
N-R | Matlock
S-T | Matlock
U-W | Matlock Bath (this page)
|On this page:
Bonsall UDC | Butterworth | Chaplain | Clay | County & Station
Crompton and Evans Bank | Daykin | Donegani | Godfrey (2)
| Goldstraw | Hodgkinson's Hotel
Jaffrey | Lymn | Mortimer | New Bath Hotel (2) | Parr's
Bank | Skidmore
Westminster Bank (3)
Urban District Council of Bonsall, 189-
The UDC was established in 1894 and F. C. Lymn of Matlock
Bath (see below) acted as the
Clerk for Council for a number of years at the end of the
John Partington Butterworth, 1921 - Painter, Grainer, Paper-Hanger & Decorator
Thomas Chaplain, no date - Agent for the Royal Insurance
He lived at 3 Clarence Villas and was there until at least
Frank Clay, 1939 - Painter, Grainer, Sign-writer, Decorator
See Frank Clay
County & Station Hotel, 1934 -
Proprietor: J. Simpson, Junior
The image immediately below shows what was on the back.
See more about the County and Station
County & Station Hotel, 1934 (back)
Advertisement for the hotel and the village.
Crompton and Evans' Union Bank, 1922
This had amalgamated with Parr's Bank (see below) although
in 1911 Crompton's Bank
was in North Parade, three premises
to the south of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel
G. S. Daykin, dispensing chemist
Mr. Daykin took over the chemist's shop that used to be
to the former Wesleyan Methodist Church following
the retirement of Mr. Frank Slawson.
Donegani & Son, 1903 - family butchers
See Biography of Francis
Joseph Donegani | Donegani photograph
Frederick Godfrey Wholesale Ltd., 1939 - he sold hair products,
hair tonics, dandruff lotion and shampoos which were made
on his premises.
He was based at the Fountain Baths.
Frederick Godfrey Wholesale Ltd., 1948
F. Goldstraw, 1927 - Joiner, Cabinet Maker & House Furnisher
Hodgkinson's Hotel, 1926 -
Proprietor: Archie R. Rose
Advertisement for Hodgkinson's Hotel | Drawing of the
William Jaffrey, 1907 - Architect & Surveyor (also Matlock)
The first record of him living in Matlock Bath was in Kelly's
F. C. Lymn, 1906 - Solicitor (also Matlock)
Frederic Charles Lymn was born in Matlock Bath and baptised
at Holy Trinity in 1854.
See the 1861 census.
1891 Directory shows him at Fountain Villas, working
as both a solicitor
and the Clerk of the Local Board. He was also Clerk for
Bonsall UDC (see above).
He died in 1930.
Mortimer's Stores, 1938 - Grocers, Confectioners and Provision
William Mortimer and family arrived in Matlock Bath in
the early 1920s
were at the South Parade store throughout World War Two.
The store eventually became the Co-op and
is now an amusement arcade
New Bath Hotel, 1919
Bath Hotel (the first of several images)
New Bath Hotel, 1922 - Manageress: E. G. Kent
Kelly's Directory for the same year shows John William
Barker as the Hotel's Manager.
Parr's Bank Limited, 1919 (also Matlock)
Parr's Bank, on North Parade next to the Wesleyan Methodist
Church, had a branch
in Matlock Bath before 1900.
Kelly's 1899 Directory
Samuel Skidmore & Son, 1922 - Hand-wrought hosiery
The firm was established in 1784.
See Eighteenth Century Lists: Court Quarter Sessions, 1773
records, include Census | 19thC
Matches and Dispatches | Wills
Westminster Bank, 1925
This includes the crest for the National Scheme for Disabled
The bank would have undertaken to employ a number of disabled
men in the
aftermath of the First World War (also see Matlock).
Charles H Waghorn was the Bank's Manager.
He also served at Treasurer to Matlock UDC (Kelly's Directory,
Westminster Bank, 1927
Westminster Bank, 1937
All images © GW are in the collection of, provided by and © Glynn
Image © AA is in the collection of, provided by and © Ann
Intended for personal use only