Wolley Manuscripts, Matlock
|A Major Collection of pre 1828 Pedigrees, Charters, Documents, Deeds & Wills
||Volumes 6666 and 6667 (part)
Volume 6667 (excluding ff.144-211)
| Volume 6666
Surnames in this volume
GREGORY MANNERS MATLOKE SAVILE SPENCER TAGG(E) WIGLEY WYGGELY
Places in Volume 6666 within Matlock:
Places in Volume 6666 elsewhere:
Alport Bakewell Baslow Beeley Brassington Bubnell Calver Chelmorton
Corbar Darley Edensor Elton Farley Froggat Hacney-Lane Great-Rowsley
Hathersage-North-Lees Little-Rowsley Longstone Middleton Monyash
Nether-Haddon North-Lees-Hathersage Pilsley Sheldon Southhouse-Grange
Snitterton Stancliffe Stanton Tansley Todehole Upper-Haddon
Wensley West-Hallam Winster Youlgreave
Deed of 1742 - the rights of Timothy SPENCER to a "seat
or sitting ..."
(Cox's Churches of Derbyshire Vol. II, p.519)
Will of William SAVILE, of Beeley, 1670 ; body to be buried
in Beeley chancel ; "for preventing a great concourse of
poor people coming for alms at my internment," he provided
that his executors should divide £20 among the poorest
of Bakewell, £10 amongst those of Brassington, and sums
of varying from £4 to £1 amongst the poor of Ashford,
Beeley, Monyash, Flagg, Taddington, Priestcliff, Hassop, Rowland,
Great and Little Longstone, Youlgreave, Alport, Middleton, Upper
Haddon, Stanton, Darley, Matlock, Wensley, Winster, Elton, Chelmorton,
Sheldon, Calver, Baslow, Bubnell, Froggat, Corbar, Edensor,
Pilsley, and Great and Little Rowsley.
(DASJ Vol. XXXIII, p.135)
Copies of the wills of John SAVILE of Southhouse Grange gent.
1) ff.149d-150 personal estate, including bequest to Francis
GREGORY present schoolmaster of West Hallam
11 Sep 1733
2) ff.150-2 property in Matlock, Elton, Monyash, North Lees
13 Sep. 1733
3) ff.152d-153 14 Sep 1733
Copy of will of George SAVILLE of Southouse Grange esq., 3 May
Copies of notes of deeds relating to Matlock (various spellings)
and involving the heirs of Henry MATLOKE, 20 June 26 H VIII
, f.154, and William TAGG(E) of, or late of Matlock and
Richard and John WIGLEY of WYGGELY of Middleton (various spellings).
[1533 - 1540] (uc/chlsl)
Certified copy made in 1724 of grant to George MANNERS of Nether
Haddon Knight of Courts in manors, towns, hamlets etc. of Little
Rowsley, Darley, Stancliffe, Todehole, Hacney Lane, Farley,
Wensley, Snitterton, Matlock, Matlock Bank, Tansley
4 July 12 Ja  (uc/chlsl)
| Volume 6667 (excluding ff.144-211)
Surnames in Volume6667 (excluding ff.144-211)
BABINGTON BACH BALGAY FANSHAW HODGKINSON HOPKINSON KIRKLAND
LECHE MINORS NIGHTINGALE PEGGE POOLE SENYOR SOUTER SPATEMAN
STATHAM WALL WILKINSON WOLLEY
Places in Volume 6667, excluding ff.144-2, Within Matlock:
church Harston Tythe-Barn-Yard the-Would
Places in Volume 6667, excluding ff.144-21, Elsewhere:
Ash and Bawdy or Bawdy Ash, in ['Wendsleye'] Ashover Bonsall
Bridge-town Cowley-Hall Cowley-manor-of-Stanton Crich Darley
Elton Hospital-of-St.-John-in-Bakewell Lichfield Stanton Tansley
Wakebridge Wensley Wheatcroft Whittington Willesley Wirksworth
|6667 ff.17d, 18d, 19d
Extract from covenant by German POOLE of Wakebridge esq. and
wife Margaret to settle capital messuage or manor of Wakebridge,
all lands in Wakebridge, Crich and Matlock with particular mention
of 2 tenements called Harston and messuage called the Would
31 Aug 23 or 24 Eliz [1581 or 2] (uc/chlsl)
Copies of deeds relating to Tansley [1586-1621], tithes of coin
and hay in Tansley and Wheatcroft (in parishes of Ashover, Crich
and Matlock) with the Tythe Barn Yard in or near parish of Matlock
, Matlock 1679, and chiefly relating to Francis
BABINGTON, STATHAM and SPATEMAN families (SPATEMAN 17th c only).
Notes concerning Matlock church building.
"The manor of Willesley was held in the reign of Henry
VI. by Roger MINORS, who conveyed it to Roger LECHE." Rot.
Parl. vol. iv. p.363.
(Cox's Churches of Derbyshire Vol II, p.519)
Copies of monumental inscriptions in north aisle of Matlock
church, copied 1812
Copies of WOLLEY inscriptions in the north aisle of Matlock
church. Susanna, wife of William WOLLEY, of Riber, 23rd Nov
1642. Elizabeth, widow of Adam WOLLEY, of Riber, 1658. These
gravestones were found under the pavement in 1812, but subsequently
covered up again by a new pavement, Three other gravestones
commemorated (1) Adam WOLLEY, 1710, Ann, wife of John WOLLEY,
1758, and Anthony WOLLEY, 1719 ; (2) John WOLLEY, 1699, Catherine,
his wife, 1710, and John WOLLEY, 1763 ; and (3) George WOLLEY,
1807, John WOLLEY, 1894.
See also in Cox's Churches of Derbyshire Vol II, pp.525-7.
(DASJ Vol. XXXIII, p.140)
List of Rectors of Matlock, extracted from episcopal registers
14th - 16th c. (uc/chlsl)
Copy of faculty to rebuild a wall of Matlock church, build a
gallery containing 13 pews for the use of named persons
14 April 1760 (uc/chlsl)
Faculty granted to John SOUTER, John WALL, John KIRKLAND, Edmund
HODGKINSON, Adam WOLLEY, John WILKINSON and Peter NIGHTINGALE
the younger, parishioners of Matlock, to pull down the "very
old and ruinous south wall" of the church, and to rebuild
it, and to erect a loft or gallery against the south wall 45
ft. Long, 12 ft. Broad, and 8 ft. Above the floor level, with
stairs and door in the new wall out of the churchyard, to contain
thirteen pews. 7 April, 1760.
(DASJ Vol. XXXIII, p.140)
|6667 ff.140-1, 143
Notes on the history of Matlock by the Reverend Samuel PEGGE
of Whittington, including dimensions of the church on f.141,
lists of rectors 1423 - 1570 (filled in by another hand) ff.
notes on Willersley f. 143d On f.141d is the date 23 Ap 1787.
Notes date from 11thc (uc/chlsl)
extracts from parish registers of Crich and Matlock relating
to STATHAM family,
1653-1705/6 and 1638/9-1650 respectively (uc/chlsl)
Copies of wills of 1) Henry HOPKINSON of Bonsall gent., mentioning
property in Bonsall, Matlock and Wirksworth, 1632, and 2) William
HOPKINSON of Bonsall gent., mentioning unspecified lands; groves,
shafts and meers of ground at Winster Pitts, groves called Ash
and Bawdy or Bawdy Ash in 'Wendsleye' liberty 1681/2 and 3)
Copy of inscription on tomb of Antony WOLLEY died 1573 and wife
Agnes, with description of tomb and arms. In Matlock church.
Drawing of gravestone in North aisle of Matlock Church, dated
1587, discovered in 1776 but covered by new paving in 1812.
Perhaps John WOLLEY's gravestone. (uc/chlsl)
Printed notice to quit property held of the manor of Matlock,
from stewards to lords of manor,
Copy of deed of partition between the 4 daughters and co-heirs
of Anthony SENYOR of Cowley, deceased, Frances FANSHAW, Elizabeth
BACH, Walkeurge [?] BALGAY and Ann SENYOR, of the manor of Darley,
Cowley Hall, several houses, a smithy, lands (with field names),
in Wensley, Bridge-town, Cowley, within manor of Stanton, in
Darley, Matlock, a rent from Winster, 1/2 tithes of Elton and
Winster, makes provision for payment of £18 p.a. to Hospital
of St. John in Bakewell and the rents, and for continuance of
accustomed foot, local and cattle ways.
1 May 1676 (uc/chlsl)
[Includes rough sketch of one of the oldest monuments to
the WOLLEY family, a freestone slab six feet long]
... incised on it a plain Latin cross, various initials, and
the date "iiiv of Juen 1587." Mr. WOLLEY says:- "It
was covered over by a new pavement. I suppose it to have been
for John WOLLEY, the first of the family at Hill."
(Cox's Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II, p.523)