Picture Gallery> Derbyshire Pictures Index>
The Andrews Pages Picture Gallery : Derbyshire
A selection of photographs, prints and postcards. Some have personal or family connections
Elsewhere on the website:
Our Genealogy | Images of Matlock & Matlock Bath

Last page | First page
Index of Images about Derbyshire -
on pages of their own, many with local history and biographical information



} Alfreton, St. Martin's Church, 1830s - 1899
} Three nineteenth century images. The first is an engraving from about 1833, the second a photograph
from around 1875 and the third a postcard from 1899.

Alport Mill

} Alport Mill *New*
} The mill and its millers, with early twentieth century image of the former water-powered corn mill.


} Ashbourne, St. Oswald's Parish Church - Exterior
} Early English Church, known as "The Pride of the Peak", has been said to be "the finest parish church in the kingdom". Its spire is magnificent and the graveyard, which is slightly below the road, is filled with snowdrops and daffodiis in the Spring.
*Additions to*

} Ashbourne, St. Oswald's Parish Church - Interior
} The chancel is mostly Early English in style. The Boothby chapel is "as full of monuments as St. Denis Abbey". Here are the old tombs of the Cokaynes and Bradbourne. Here also is Thomas Banks's exquisite monument to Penelope Boothby.
*Additions to*

} Ashbourne: Church Avenue or Church Walk *New*
} The lime avenue was planted over 170 years ago.
} Ashbourne: Church Street, about 1905 *New*
} The houses and shops at the north eastern end of Church Street and who lived in the properties.

} Ashbourne - Church Street Almshouses, early twentieth century *New*
} Three images of the buildings, and details of the various bequests made and other details regarding Owfield's and Pegg's almshouses.

} Ashbourne - Church Street, The Mansion *New image*
} A mostly eighteenth century house, with some earlier features. The home of Dr. Taylor in the reigns of George II and George II, both
Samuel Johnson and James Boswell were guests. Later inhabitants are also identified and given their place in the history of the building.

} Ashbourne : Queen Elizabeth's Grammar - the Old School, Church Street *New*
} One of the oldest school buildings in the county. Its history and a list of headmasters 1611-1971, some of whom were somewhat

} Ashbourne: Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School, The Green Road - 1909-64 *New*
} From the opening ceremony, with a description of the school's layout and its inter-war staff, to the early 1960s. Five images.

} Ashbourne Market Place, early twentieth century *New*
} The shops and shopkeepers in the early 1900s and a reminder of the town's association with the Forty-Five Rebellion (Jacobite Rising).

} Ashbourne: St. John Street & The Green Man *New*
} Georgian coaching inn, with one of the longest inn signs in the country. Includes list of known licensees 1756 - 1939. Five images.

Ashover, Ault Hucknall

} Ashover: Ashover House Hydro (Ashover Hydro), Malthouse Lane *New*
} Ashover's larger hydro, set in 6 acres, was said to be surrounded by lovely countryside.
} Ashover Parish Church, All Saints', 1908
} With a short description of what occurred during the Civil War.
Includes 19th century drawings of the lead font and an early doorway.
} Ault Hucknall Parish Church, St. John the Baptist
} A 1895 heliotype plate and two 19th century drawings.

Bakewell, Beauchief, Birchover

} The Bridge, Bakewell, 1920s
} Mediaeval sandstone bridge spanning the River Wye.

} Bakewell Parish Church - Monuments inside All Saints' *New*
} Ancient monuments within the church, especially in the Vernon Chapel.
What happened when various tombs were opened in 1841.

} Bakewell Parish Church - the Ancient Stone Cross
} Three nineteenth century images of the Saxon Cross in Bakewell Church Yard. An engraving from 1830, a stereogram from the 1850s
and a drawing from 1877.

} Beauchief Prœmonstratensian Abbey, 1727 New*
} Etching of the Abbey, founded in 1183, with details of its Abbots. At Dissolution it was bought by the Strelleys and remained in the
family for generations, albeit through the female line on occasion.
There is a short pedigree of Steade, Pegge and Burnell of Beauchief.
} Birchover, Robin Hood's Stride New*
} A well known Derbyshire landmark. The distance between the chimneys are said to indicate length of the outlaw/hero's stride.

Bonsall (with Slaley)

} Bonsall Parish Church, St. James *Additional info*
} Now includes an 1877 heliotype plate, two early postcards - one from 1892 - and a description of the restoration in 1863.

} The Cross, Bonsall (1), four postcards (two shown)
} The Cross from various angles, and includes a Hadfield Cubley painting.

} The Cross, Bonsall (2)
} Two more images of the ancient Cross.

} Bonsall, the Water Fountains *Rewritten and additional image*
} The village has several fountains, built in the 1870s. Here are pictures of two of them - one opposite church at the bottom of Ember Lane and the other, the largest of them all, at Dale End.
} Bonsall - Nether Green, about 1930 *Additional info*
} Where Kings and Prices are buried, and each man has his own marble bridge over the river.
} Slaley, Bonsall, 1933-35
} Three family photographs of the hamlet.

} The Study, Bonsall
} A mansion house that became a boy's school, run by John Allen, in the 1820s, with example of pupil's work.


} The Peak Hydro, Buxton: Canadian Hospital
} Opened in the 1880s. In 1914 the hydro was taken over by the Army and in 1916 a Canadian Hospital was opened in the building.
} The Crescent, Buxton, 1840
} Lithograph, with accompanying text, from William Adam's "The Gem of the Peak".
} Buxton, The Empire Hotel *New*
} Headquarters of the Reserve Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters, Notts & Derby Regiment at the beginning of World War One and described as being like "a stately old mansion of the time of Charles II".
} The Haddon Hall Hydro, Buxton
} Richard Freckingham moved from Matlock to Buxton and set up Haddon House Hydropathic Establishment in 1882.


} Castleton, Peak Cavern, 1811 - 1926
} Extract from an 1811 history of Derbyshire, with some later comments and 4 images.

} Castleton, The Winnats and Speedwell Cavern
} Includes an extract from an 1811 history of Derbyshire.


} Chatsworth House, 1880
} A woodblock print from a book by Rev. Morris, with accompanying text.
} Chatsworth House, 1887 *New*
} An albumen photograph of the House and the River Derwent, with accompanying text.
} Chatsworth, the Grand Conservatory.
} Late nineteenth century albumen photo. Paxton's Grand Conservatory at Chatsworth was a wonder to behold.

} Chatsworth, The Italian Garden - William Potter's CDVs
} Two Cartes de Visites and a postcard showing some of the statuary in the gardens of Chatsworth House in the late nineteenth and
early twentieth century.
} Chatsworth, Queen Mary's Bower
} Mary Queen of Scots was frequently held as a prisoner at Chatsworth House. The house has been rebuilt but the Bower still survives.
Early twentieth century image
} Chatsworth House, Tapestry Room
} Early Twentieth Century Midland Railway postcard.

Chee Dale

} Chee Dale and Chee Tor
} One of the beautiful dales in the Wye Valley, commented on by guide book writers for over 200 years.
Four images


} Crich Parish Church & Mr. John Clay, Gentleman *New*
} St. Mary's Church, which was begun in the reign of King Stephen, was the pre-Civil War burial place of Mr. John Clay,
a well known local Gentleman with the same surname as the webmistress. 4 images.
} The Common, Crich (Crich Common), before 1919 *New*
} The road experienced the effects of an earthquake in 1903.
} Crich From the Tors *New*
} A panoramic view, including the Stand, the Church and the tramway.

} Crich Market Place, before 1919 *New image*
} Early twentieth century picture showing the tramway archway and the old stone horse trough. A later card highlights the arch.

} Francis Hurt's Crich Stand & the Sherwood Foresters War Memorial *Additions*
} A beacon war memorial honouring the dead of the Sherwood Foresters from two world wars replaced the former prospect tower.
Nine images, including six of an earlier Crich Stand.


} Cromford, 1773
} "A View in Crumford near Matlock Bath in Derbyshire", copper plate engraving.
*Additions to*
} Cromford : Black Rocks (Stonnis), nineteenth century CDV. *New*
} Carte de visite circa 1875, with various nineteenth century descriptions of the rocks.

} Cromford, Black Rocks (or Stonnis)
} Rock climbing in Derbyshire developed as an outdoor pursuit at the beginning of the twentieth century.
Now with 1894 image.
} Cromford: Bridge over the Derwent and Entrance to Willersley Castle.
} A Derbyshire curiosity. In 1697 a man with the initials B.H., plus his horse, had a lucky escape.
*Additions to*
} Cromford: The Village
} View from the lower part of Cromford Hill looking towards the Market Place.

} Cromford, St. Mary's Church and the Bridge
} The church was commissioned by Sir Richard Arkwright and the building work completed by his son. The church was renovated
in 1896/8 when A.O. Hemming added stained glass and magnificent wall paintings. *New image*
} Cromford Church, Bridge, and Rocks, by Henry Hadfield Cubley

Darley Dale

} Darley Dale, early twentieth century.
} Unknown rural scene.

} Darley Dale, Hurker Hall (Farley)
} Hurker Hall is mentioned in every census between 1851 and 1891 as being a landmark on the boundary between Darley and Matlock.
} Advertisement for } Darley Dale Hydropathic Establishment, 1891.
William Atkins' hydro at The Grove replaced the district's very first hydro of 1848-1851.

} Darley Dale, Oaker Hill (One Tree Hill), 1900-10
} With quotes from William Wordsworth, William Adam, Timothy Spencer Hall and James Croston.
} Darley Dale, Holly Tree Inn, Over Hackney, about 1914 *New*
} Pre First World War photo of the Inn, with a party seated in a charabanc outside the front door
} Darley Dale, Fundraising leaflet for Over Hackney Church & Sunday School, 1910

} Stancliffe Quarry and Saw Mill. *New*
} The quarry's history, its link to Sir Joseph Whitworth and four amazing old photos (plus an enlargement).
} Darley Dale, The Rectory, Churchtown, about 1911.
} The Rectory was opposite the churchyard in Church Road.

} Darley Dale, St. Helen's Church
} Three images from the early twentieth century, one a photo as a memento of home for a family who were emigrating.
Four engravings of ancient slabs and some of the church history. *Re-written and 4 new images*
} Darley Dale, St. Helen's Church, Interior
} Early and mid twentieth century views of the chancel, with drawings from Cox's Churches of the Rollesley monuments.

} Darley Dale, St. Helen's Church, Ancient Yew Tree
} In 1863 a letter was published in the Times newspaper purporting to have been written by the tree and protesting about the vandalism that had occurred.
} Darley Dale, Two Dales Looking East
} A view of Chesterfield Road (the B5057) at the beginning of the twentieth century
} Darley Dale War Memorial (with names)
} Moved from another part of the site May 2012.
} Darley Dale, The Warney Mill Estate (1)
} One family had occupied the premises for a little over one hundred years when it was put up for auction in 1950.

} Darley Dale, The Warney Mill Estate (2)
} It became Cara Hols in the early 1950s and then DFS.
} Darley Dale: Stancliffe Hall, early twentieth century *Additions*
} A 17th century house with 19th century additions by Sir Joseph Whitworth. It was later a boys' school. In 1863 Celtic urns were discovered in the grounds.
} Darley Dale, The Whitworth Hospital
} Built by Lady Louisa Whitworth.
} Darley Dale, The Whitworth Institute
} Built thanks to generous endowments from the estate of Sir Joseph Whitworth.

} Darley Dale, Whitworth Institute Hospital. Staff & Soldiers June 1915 *New*
} Part of Whitworth Institute was converted to deal with injured soldiers during the first World War.

} Darley Dale, Whitworth Park *New*
} The park, which had a boating lake and sports facilities, first opened in 1892. It was created in Sir Joseph Whitworth's memory.

Derwent, Dethick, Drakelow

} Derwent's Packhorse Bridge and Derwent Hall
} The Hall was to disappear under the waters of the Ladybower reservoir whereas the packhorse bridge
was saved and reconstructed elsewhere.
} Derwent, The Old Chapel, about 1867
} Notes on the Chapelry of Derwent in Hathersage by Francis Jourdain, M.A., first published in "The Reliquary" (1869-70)

} Dethick, St. John the Baptist Chapel
} Early English church, dating from about 1220-25, connected with the Dethicks and then with the Babingtons. Manor Farm is nearby.
Five images.

} Dethick, Manor Farm
} The farm building contains remains of the old mansion of the Dethicks and Babingtons.
} Drakelow Hall, 1880
} A woodblock print from a book by Rev. Morris, with accompanying text.
Drakelowe Hall was demolished in 1934. A power station now stands on the site.

Edensor, Ednaston, Elvaston, Eyam

} Edensor, St. Peter's Church
} The church, designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, replaced an older structure. A CDC from the 1890s is a new addition.
} Ednaston Lodge, 1880
} A woodblock print from a book by Rev. Morris, with accompanying text.
} Elvaston Castle, 1880
} A woodblock print from a book by Rev. Morris, with accompanying text.
} Eyam Church Interior - Mompesson's Chair *New*
} In 1887 a carved oak chair was found by the brother of the then rector. It had belonged to the Rev William Mompesson.

} Eyam Hall *New*
} Eyam Hall, built after the plague visitation using material from Bradshaw Hall, is at the heart of the village.
It is owned by the Wright family, who built the house.

} The Plague Cottages, Eyam

Friden, Froggatt

} Friden, The Derbyshire Silica Firebrick Co., 1946
} Advertisement from Matlock and District Industrial Exhibition Catalogue, 1946
} Froggatt Edge and Bridge, near Grindleford.
} Pretty bridge spanning the River Derwent below Froggatt Edge


} Haddon Hall (1), 1840
} Lithograph, with accompanying text, from William Adam's "The Gem of the Peak".
Sketch by Samuel Rayner from the same book.

} Haddon Hall (2): Visitors & Staff, the Terrace Steps and the Great Hall *New images*
} A visit to Haddon Hall was amongst the excursions on offer to the Victorian tourist.
Read what happened to earlier visitors who would not join in ...
Eight images.

} Haddon Hall (3), Exterior & Distinguished Visitors
} Many distinguished visitors have been to Haddon over the years.
In the 1920s the charabanc visitors caused a problem for the Marquis of Granby.
Nine images.

} Haddon Hall (4), Some of the Rooms
} Although the Manners family did not live in Haddon for over two hundred years, from the early seventeenth century (1703) until 1925, the building was still used and kept in good repair. Major restoration by the 9th Duke began in 1912.
Nine images and map of the ground floor. *New info and images*

} Haddon Hall (5), The Ancient Chapel
} The chapel is dedicated to St. Nicholas and is one of the oldest parts of this wonderful building.
Nine images.*New*

} Haddon Hall (6), The Eagle Tower
It is also known as St. John's or Peveril's Tower and was the grand entrance at the time of the Peverels. 5 images*New*

} Haddon Hall (7), The Love Steps of Dorothy Vernon
} Woodcut by Jewitt, dating from about 1860, and a paper published in The Reliquary of this fabled story.
A CDV from the 1880s, by Matlock Bath photographer William Potter, has been added. *New image*

Hartington, Hathersage, Holloway

} Hartington, Old Hall *New*
} A seventeenth century manor house owned by the Bateman family for several hundred years.

} Hathersage, St. Michael's Church
} It is not only one of the most picturesquely situated churches in Derbyshire, but is also one of the best
examples of ecclesiastical architecture that the county possesses.
Little John's Grave is in the Churchyard.
} Hathersage, Hillside Houses
} Perhaps the village's most famous visitor was Charlotte Bronte who stayed at Hathersage with her friend Ellen Nussey in 1845.
Holloway, Church Street - with Lea Bridge
} Lea and Holloway War Memorial, 1920s
} Lea and Holloway's graceful obelisk formed a landmark visible for miles around (also Dethick). Includes for photos of the memorial today and the names of those who died.

King's Newton

} King's Newton Hall, 1859 & 1860
} One of the oldest and most interesting halls in Derbyshire was destroyed by fire in 1859 and was not rebuilt for 50 years.

Melbourne, Midland Railway, Miller's Dale, Monsal Dale

} Melbourne Parish Church, St. Michael and St. Mary
} Built in the 11th century on the site of an earlier church, this is one of the finest Norman churches in the country. It was carefully restored by Sir Gilbert Scott in 1859-60. A war memorial was erected on a grassy area nearby after WW1. Ten images. *New* (the original page with this title was split into two and re-written)

} Melbourne Parish Church, St. Michael and St. Mary, Interior
} The interior of Melbourne Church is spectacular. It contains many Norman and Early English architectural features. Here are several images from the 19th and 20th centuries, and a number of photographs. Fifteen images. *New*

} Midland Railway Scenes, six postcards
} - of High Tor, Matlock | Eyam | Monsal Dale | Bakewell | Buxton | Castelton

} Miller's Dale
} The hamlet on the banks of the Wye and the pretty valley were dramatically changed by the coming of the railway in the 1860s. A viaduct was built, and a second opened in 1904 because of the volume of traffic. Seven images.

} Monsal Dale
} Monsal Dale is a beautiful valley on the banks of the Wye. A viaduct, part of the Midland Railway, was built here in the 1860s. Five images.

} Derbyshire, Monsal Dale, the Bridges and River
} Three CDVs from around 1890 or so and other images of Upperdale and Netherdale bridges in the Wye Valley. Eight images.

North Wingfield

} North Wingfield Parish Church, St. Lawrence *New images & additions*
} Includes 19th century drawings of the ancient font and an early window, two early 20th century cards and an 1875 photo.


} Rowsley Bridge *New*
} The narrow seventeenth century Derwent Bridge was widened in the mid-1920s, retaining the original Gothic arches on one side

} Rowsley, The Peacock Hotel *New*
} Jacobean style building constructed at the time Oliver Cromwell was Lord Protector.
Originally a farm, it became an hotel in the 1820s.

Shirland, Steetley

} Shirland Parish Church, St. Leonard's.
} Five photographs, including a heliotype plate from 1870-5, of the exterior of St. Leonard's,
with information about a few churchyard memorials.
} Shirland Parish Church, St. Leonard's interior. New*
} Some memorials found inside the church, including a list of names of those who died in the First World War.

} Steetley Chapel
} Careful nineteenth century restoration saved this classic Norman church. It had been without a roof
for well over a century and a half.

Thorpe and Thorpe Cloud, Tissington

} Thorpe and Thorpe Cloud *New*
} From celebrating the recovery of George III to late nineteenth century visitors, plus a teatime treat
} Tissington, St. Mary's Church *New*
} Pre 1918 postcard of the Norman parish church, with a little of its history.
} Tissington Hall. *New*
} Early twentieth century view of the Jacobean Hall, home of the FitzHerbert family.

Weston-Upon-Trent, Whatstandwell, Wingfield Manor

} Weston-Upon-Trent Parish Church, nineteenth century stereoview (about 1890) *New*
} Mostly 13th century, with a tower built about 1360.
} Whatstandwell: Chase Bridge on the Cromford Canal, about 1900. *New*
} On the right are steep grassy slopes, diversified by patches of woodland.

} Wingfield Manor (1), The Early Years to Mary Stuart
} Begun about 1440 by Ralph, Lord Cromwell. It was later bought by the Earl of Shrewsbury and remained
as one of the principal seats of his successors until not long before the English Civil War.
Four views.

} Wingfield Manor (2), during and after the Civil War
} The sieges of the English Civil War and what happened to the Manor afterwards.
Six of the seven images are shown oon the left.
*New image added*


} Wirksworth, Adam Bede's Cottage
} A thatched two storey cottage about a mile from the centre of Wirksworth linked to the book "Adam Bede"

} Wirksworth Parish Church - St. Mary the Virgin, Exterior
} St. Mary's is a fine, spacious building. Postcards, photographs and a drawing of the exterior, reflecting the history and changes to the ancient structure's external architecture over the centuries.
*New page* created from a former page covering both the interior and exterior of the church.

} Wirksworth Parish Church - St. Mary the Virgin, Inside the Church
} Gilbert Scott's major work to repair previous poor restorations, 19th century images of some mediaeval tile fragments, ancient monuments, the two fonts, a photograph of a Saxon carving and others of some of the windows in the church.
*New page* created from a former page covering both the interior and exterior of the church.

Also see the following Derbyshire pictures. They are in different sections of this web site :

Two wonderful engravings of Derbyshire, dated 1811, by Henry Moore: Derby engraving | Belper engraving

Revolution House at Whittington, from "The Gentleman's Magazine" of 1810.

The Vernon Lamb Archive,
A Unique Photographic Record of Matlock and District, 1910-1915, and World War One Soldiers

The War images show soldiers in the 2/6th Sherwood Foresters, who may have come from other parts of Derbyshire. The Regiment was stationed at Chesterfield and then at Buxton for a short time before moving away.