The six houses of Staffordshire Row were built in the late
the houses today are nos. 30 - 46 Water Lane and the listed
buildings are part of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage
Staffordshire Row is on the very edge of the ancient parish
boundary of Matlock, on the road which goes
to the Via Gellia and Bonsall and just below the junction
with Chapel Hill. The houses were built of local gritstone
and are believed to have been erected by Sir Richard Arkwright
on land he had bought in 1784.
It is believed that Arkwright built the houses for workers
in his mills.
Examination of some of the census returns reveals
that although members of the households may have worked in
the local cotton mills, this wasn't necessarily the case
with the heads of each household. For example, of the nine
households in 1841 there were 3 labourers, 2 independents,
1 cotton spinner (Samuel Gould), 1 hatter and 2 lead miners.
In 1871 the occupations of the head of house for the nine
households were butcher, coal merchant, cordwainer, day labourer,
farmer, gardener, retired laundress and railway plate layer.
In 1901 Herbert Gillott, one of the eight heads of house,
worked in the mills as a cotton winding overlooker.
The other occupations were a coal carter, a clerk in a hosiery
works, two Joiners/Carpenters and railway worker, house duties
and someone living on means.
The Church, bottom right, is Scarthin Mission Church; it was
a chapel of ease linked to Holy Trinity Church in Matlock Bath.
Another former place of worship was the large four storey
building at the bottom of Chapel Hill, on the left of the Staffordshire
Row houses. The building had been the Wesleyan Methodist chapel,
with a schoolroom underneath, for over ninety years when it was
sold in 1900.
The schoolroom was, for some time, used by the chapel to train
In 1901 John Willn owned it; he was still at Chapel Hill when
he passed away at the end of 1909.
Former Wesleyan Methodist chapel
with schoolroom underneath
links are to transcripts elsewhere on this web site):
 "The Derwent Valley
Mills and their Communities" (2001), The Derwent
Valley Mills Partnership, County Hall, Matlock, Derbyshire,
DE4 3AG. ISBN 0-9541940-0-4, p.30.
 Census returns for the Matlocks
were poor in providing exact addresses but Staffordshire
Row is named in the 1841
census, the 1871
census and the
1901 census. One of the families was away in on the night
of the 1901 census.
 See Churches
and Chapels : Scarthin Mission Church
 "Derby Daily Telegraph",
26 September 1908.
 There is more about this chapel
in: Buxton, Doreen and Charlton, Christopher (November 2013) "Cromford
Revisited", The Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site
Educational Trust. ISBN 978-0-9541940-6-2
 John Willn was living on Chapel
Hill in the 1881 census | the
1891 census | the
He is listed in Kelly's Directory of 1912. However, he had
died at Via Gellia House, aged 77, on 31st December 1909.