What's New Index> This page
Matlock & Matlock Bath : What's New, 2020
Find out about the latest information that's been added to the Matlock and Matlock Bath website
 
This year (2020) | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016

Earlier years are no longer available


Return to What's New Index
Elsewhere on this web site:
The Andrews Pages What's New
  PLEASE NOTE:
Copyright notices on new images are being placed higher up the onsite images. This is because of various instances of improper use.
All users of the Andrews Pages are asked to read
About and Conditions of Use
Mar 2020 New pages:
1. Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel, from Wild Cat Tor. CDV of both the hotel and the properties nearby, with a contemporary description of the hotel by William Adam
2. Matlock Bath: General Views from Cat Tor, 1906 - 1913. Three more images of the view of the village from Cat Tor, two definitely taken before the First World War and the third one, from a Ward Lock Guide, was possibly taken then. The Ward Lock image has been transferred from an older page on the web-site which no longer exists. With thanks to Susan Tomlinson for the use of one of her postcards.
Additions to:
1. Engraving of Matlock Bath, from the Wild Cat Tor Enlargement of part of the image. The image is of an earlier date that first thought.
2.New Bath Hotel Stereoview has a little more about the nineteenth century visitors.
2. Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel (2). Two more postcards added, as well as additional info about the hotel's once famous lime tree.
3. Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel (5) - Two images and an enlargement. Now includes why and when the Roadhouse Bar was built.
4. Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel Booklet, about 1900. Two pages have been merged so that all three pictures from the booklet are on the same page.
5. Hall's "Days in Derbyshire" 1863 has been redesigned and more material added to existing pages. There is also a new chapter covering Riber, Dethick and Lea. The images have also been improved.
6. Croston's "On Foot Through the Peak", 1868 has also been redesigned, with a number of new pages added, existing chapters added to and images improved. So Chapters 14 and 15 (the latter in two parts) are now complete instead of partially transcribed and Chapter 16, in two parts, is new.
7. Other guides have had images improved and/or have minor additions. See the Matlock & Matlock Bath Guides Index.
8. Three more St. Giles' MIs for the surname WHEATCROFT. With thanks to Susan Tomlinson.
Feb 2020 New Pages:
1. Matlock Bath: The High Tor, the Railway and the Gas Works, mid 1860s. CDV taken by Mr. or Mrs. Petschler.
2. Matlock Bath: Children's Corner, Grand Pavilion, 1923. This was sited on ground that had formerly belonged to the Ferry House.
Additions to:
1. Matlock Bath: Grand Pavilion and Spar Shop. Includes more about the spar shop as well as details about the Old Bath/Royal Hotel obelisk over the year. Now includes who re-painted the sign in 1938, replacing the Royal Hotel's name with that of the Temple.
2. Matlock Bath: The Royal Pavilion - the Palais Royal. A black and white image of the Pavilion has been added, enlarged from a postcard, and replacing a smaller image.
3. Holy Trinity Church, Matlock Bath - Interior. Now includes a description of the interior after it was built.
4. Matlock Bath: Lovers' Walks, 1914. More about a former shop on that side of the river.
5. Jane Thomas has kindly supplied photographs of headstones, etc., in St. Giles Churchyard Area A. They include surnames Andrews, Ashmore, Brailsford, Duggins, Farmer,Moore, Morley, Potter, Towe and Wilson. These have been transcribed.

6. Some time ago an image of the old glasshouses had been added to Matlock Bath: New Bath Hotel and Cat Tor, 1930s. This has been enlarged and improved.
Jan 2020 New pages:
1. Matlock: Willersley Castle Contents Sale, 1927 - Drawing Room. A number of good quality fireplaces were advertised in the sale catalogue, including this one. With an image of the room after the Castle was sold.
2. Matlock Bath: View from the Heights of Jacob - the top of Jacob's Ladder or Steps. Old steps, set in woodland, connecting South Parade with Bonsall via Upperwood. With thanks to Susan Tomlinson for the use of her photographic postcard.
3. Pre 1858 Wills & Administrations in various UK archives Surnames C - G has been created from Wills Surnames A - G as that page was getting too large. The info for Surnames A - B are on the original page, with some changes to the navigation.
Additions to:
1. Matlock: Smedley's Hydro Drawing Room, 1906. Wonderful description of the room, from Henry Steer's book, now included.
2. Biographies, Surnames S. Short biography of local architect George Edward Statham, who designed the Old English and undertook work for Smedley's Hydro.
3. Matlock & Matlock Bath Miscellany. The sections about Matlock & District Rifle Club and the National Reserve, Matlock Branch have been updated and details about Matlock's coat of arms have been added.
4. Matlock Bath: Temple Hotel. A third postcard and another advertisement added.
5. Short extracts from William Adam's 1857 edition of "The Gem of the Peak" about the recently opened Smedley's Hydro have been added to Matlock: View From Matlock Bank and Matlock: Smedley's Hydro, Extending the Hydro.
6. Matlock & Matlock Bath References - Books & Other Publications now includes a review of the latest book by Christopher Charlton and Doreen Buxton - "Matlock Bath - A perfectly romantic place".